Oil filters

Perhaps in the future it’ll all be moot anyway. Perhaps to gain an extra hundredth of a mph manufacturers will use electric for all fluid pumps, like they have for power steering pumps. The lengths they’re going to to shave a billionth of a mpg these days are astounding.

Personally, if I were to build a car from the ground up, I’d use an electric oil pump anyway, with a start delay. I like the idea of pressurizing the lubrication system before turning the crank. It’s common practice when first starting a rebuilt engine, why not with every start?

Have seen some nuts start the engine without the drain plug in,to get more of the old oil out of the engine.On a Mack truck engine it really takes awhile to fill these large multiple filters up,I’m not sure if the oil is filtered before or after it circulates through the engine,one boss told me that filling the filters introduces fresh unfiltered oil into the engine.But,where possible I like to put oil in the filter(dry bearings don’t sound good)-Kevin

While growing up, I heard of several old timers who would change their oil by draining it while the engine was running. The belief was it would get more of the old oil out of the engine.

I do know my uncle lost an engine doing it that way.

I bet if you install it dry, you WILL see a significant increase in the length of time to build up the oil pressure. But, being that the oil is fresh, you do it only once in a great while, the oil is usually room temp and not cold, it shouldn’t matter. Besides, for years filter had no check valves and had to be refilled, depending on orientation, on every start up. So IMO, it is insignificant.

Fords would run for years with dry startups,so I guess it isnt that much of an issue(beware the dry rebuild startup however) actually some of the Fords rattling could be overcome with a filter with an anti drainback valve{NAPA 1452,also fits a lot of Case products,if you see the way the filter is mounted on some Case engines you can see why they are equipped with an anti drainback valve}-Kevin

Does it make any practical difference? Almost certainly not.

Does it have any benefit? Yes, because “taking care of the little things” is often a good idea, until it becomes compulsiveness.

Might it help? Yes. If you pour oil into an empty filter, you’ll notice it takes quite a while for the filter element to saturate with oil. Therefore, even with a side or horizontal oil filter, it is not a bad idea to at least pour some oil into the filter. I do this with my 1970 car, although modern cars have such precise fits that it’s certainly irrelevant (I also keep the drained oil container under the filter in case it leaks).

OK4550 wrote:

What I usually do is remove the fuel pump relay or fuse and crank the engine over until the
oil light goes out. Does this make any difference? I have no idea but I feel better about it… :slight_smile:

satisficer wrote:

Does it have any benefit? Yes, because “taking care of the little things” is often a good idea,

I’ve been thinking about these two comments.

Aren’t they a subtle, but big and important element in the makeup of a careful experienced mechanic?

It’s the little things that one accumulates over the years that shape a mechanic’s behavior to take the many extra precautionary steps that make a difference.

I fill vertical mount filters almost to the top before installing and put a small amount of oil in horizontal mount filters before installing. Does it make a difference? Maybe not but it won’t hurt anything besides possibly making a mess.

AS others have indicated, the bearings and such will be coated in a nice film of the old oil. It should be enough to protect for a few seconds while oil pressure builds. I do use synthetic and let the engine idle for a bit right after I change the oil.

Some of the larger filters can hold nearly a quart. I shut the engine off and then top off the level after letting it idle a bit.

I fill the horizontal filters too, just not all the way up. I don’t know if it helps, but it doesn’t hurt.

Don’t worry be happy.

It’s much more important you regularly floss your teeth then fill oil filters. Put things in perspective.

I have to completely agree with @dagosa Try to do both though.