Oil filters on new cars sold today with a build date of one year ago

Today, new cars sit on the dealer lot with build dates of summer 2015. Got mine in an early summer clearance; only had 30 miles at time of sale with a build date of August 2015. The dealer stated it uses synthetic oil and is good for about 7500 miles/1 year (June 2017), whichever comes first.

But does the oil filter break down, even if not driven much that year on the sales lot? The filter would be in place almost two years from its installation (August 2015) to first oil/filter change (June 2017).

The oil filter isn’t expensive, and I change the oil & filter myself. I’m asking because I wouldn’t want to replace an otherwise good filter now if it can wait until next summer. (Car is owned, not leased; so I want it to last as long as possible).

No, the oil doesn’t break down just sitting there. Use the date you bought the car as the start date for maintenance.

No, the oil doesn’t break down just sitting there. Use the date you bought the car as the start date for maintenance.

Does the filter break down while sitting there? Can OEM oil filters last two years, if under 7,500 miles?

No worry, the filter is fine, too.

+1 to both of Texases posts. :relaxed:

1 Like

If it makes you feel better, spend a few bucks and replace it, but I agree with the others that it isn’t necessary.

I’ll go off-topic, although I’m not sure there is such a thing anymore :wink:

Every vehicle I get for service, I look in our service history to see when the last oil change was. If it’s been a year or more, it gets changed, regardless of mileage

I’m not saying that’s how everybody should do it, but it works for me

1 Like

I change my oil and filter at 5000 miles, not 7500 or 10,000 and I use full synthetic. My first oil change was in two months. Have some fun and drive it more and change at 5000.

I didn’t think there was a “Best before” date on oil filters, I have a case of filters in the closet for my Plymouth that I bought 12 years ago.

I didn’t think there was a “Best before” date on oil filters, I have a case of filters in the closet for my Plymouth that I bought 12 years ago.

The name brand (and OEM ) filters I buy don’t have any plastic over them. I buy a few filters at a time on sale, and then I vacuum seal them because the last of that purchase doesn’t get installed for a couple years.

But what I was asking is if the OEM filter in a brand new vehicle could breakdown when the same filter is filled with oil for two years, when it’s not driven the full 5,000 miles before the first scheduled oil change. (I have two cars, so the new one won’t get more than 5,000mi the first year). Sounds like the answer on this thread is that installed OEM oil filter should be fine for two years.

I’ve never known filter media to break down while soaked.
It could be that . . that is one reason for the huge price differences tween name brands and brand X.

Yup!
OEM filters are good quality, as are most of the aftermarket filters.
However–IMHO–all bets are off if somebody uses the “white box” unbranded filters that are installed by Jiffy Lube and their clones.
There is frequently a price to be paid by “cheaping-out”.

As I like to tell people, “I don’t think that I can afford to save money that way”.
:smirk:

Can you imagine the look on the counter persons face when the OP asks where the ( sell by date ) is on the oil filter box.

The media is comprised specifically of components that will NOT breakdown in oil. Imagine the problems if it weren’t? :scream:

And, since it contains zero living organisms, and no catalysts or chemicals, and its media is sealed in a metal canister preventing anything like deterioration from UV rays, a filter’s shelf life is indefinite. I might not trust one that had been in the box for 70 years, but one year… or two… or three… is essentially brand new.

For the record, DOD contracts require shelf life control on all components containing elastomeric gaskets, seals, or components. I don’t remember the DOD spec, but I do recall that almost all were designated as having a 20 year shelf life.

Here’s a link to shelf life websites. The elastomers would be the “weakest” point in the oil filter assembly, so this should give you some confidence. The elastomer would be in the gasket and the backflow “valve”.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is+the+DOD+spec+for+elastomer+shelf+life.&form=PRHPCS&pc=EUPP_U146&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=e0d5cac6513646e58f818b1c7abb5b53&pq=what+is+the+dod+spec+&sc=0-21&sp=-1&qs=n&sk=&cvid=e0d5cac6513646e58f818b1c7abb5b53

I now only drive about 7,000 miles per year so I am on a 6 month oil and filter change schedule. I suggest you do the same. In a short period of time your “new” filter will be replaced and you can stop worrying.

If the car were mine I’d change both the oil and filter. I realize the mileage is extremely low but there’s the moisture factor which is much worse in places with high humidity; such as northern OK where I live.

One engine warmup, shutting the engine off on a very humid evening, and moisture will contaminating the oil already.

We have evenings here with a very high dew point and if the hood is opened in the morning it looks like someone has hosed the engine down as it’s literally dripping water. Not all of that moisture is on the outside either.

That’s just what I’d do if the car were mine.

1 Like

Thanks a lot ok4450. Now you going to have worry wart Honda guy wanting to know if he should dry off his engine compartment before he drives to work.

The oil filter should be good for ten years if the car is parked in a museum but your car has been operated for 11 months and you should consider changing the oil and filter long before the vehicle is two years old.

It would seem that a car is dormant before it is sold but some of the dealers that I have worked for the lot boys would start the engines on rows of cars every few months and let them idle for 4 hour to charge the batteries. Also each time the car is demonstrated there could be an hour of operating time on the engine but only 2 miles. If you don’t know how much idle time is on the engine you should change the oil at the one year mark.

1 Like