Oil Filter

The only other thing I might worry about that no one has mentioned is that the different filter might have a pressure relief valve that opens at a different pressure for the different engine application, and/or a different anti-drainback valve.

@oblivion

I am 100% certain that the only difference between long wix and short wix is the length

The anti-drainback valve and pressure relieve valve are 100% identical

I sleep well at night

On Rock Auto the Wix filter for the 2.5 4 cylinder says the bypass valve setting is 27. The Wix filter for the 6 cylinder says the bypass setting is 8-11. Is this a significant difference?

"I sleep well at night"
So that’s why your little photo portrait looks so good!
I wish I could.
CSA

Thank you @knfenimore for the Amazon link. That is not the right filter for my car, but I was able to find the right one from that. Because of that link, I now realize that I need to go back to the parts store and get a crush washer for the drain plug. I plan on doing the oil change tomorrow so it is too late to order a pack from Amazon, but I will order a pack, and maybe a six pack of the OEM filters too.

Its funny that Amazon includes the washers in the 6 pack of filters for the older Legacy’s but not for the newer ones. It does list them as an add on though (saves on shipping costs). The new filters are for engines that call for 0w20 oil. They all physically interchange though.

Makes me think that it might be the filter is different in order to maintain higher oil pressure for the main and rod bearings.

Bring it in my ahop and I’ll put an AC Delco on it that I have in stock.

“Bring it in my shop and I’ll put an AC Delco on it that I have in stock.”
Yikes! A Ford dealer selling GM parts for a Subaru!
CSA

Does GM still own AC Delco?

My wife’s 96 Accord (made in the US) came with an AC Delco battery from the factory.

@MikeInNH
"Does GM still own AC Delco ?"

Beats me! I have always associated AC Delco with GM. That’s Interesting about Honda with Delco.
CSA

“Does GM still own AC Delco ?”

Yes and No. GM still owns the NAME ACDelco but they sold off the business that actually made AC Delco parts in 1997 and named it Delphi. Which later filed for bankruptcy and further sold off various divisions of Delphi to save the company (save Delphi, not GM).

Seems those ACDelco filters are made by Champion Labs and have been made by Wix but could be made by some Chinese company like other ACDelco parts.

My AC Delco Oil Filter Boxes List The Address As Detroit, Michigan, And Say’ “Product Of U.S.A.”

CSA

They probably DO list the address as Detroit. That is the headquarters of GM. The "Product of U.S.A. only is the origin of the actual parts. Not all ACDelco parts are made in the US as the picture below attests.

The automotive industry, to its credit, has truly become a global industry.
That leaves the consumers confused more often than not, but it is what it is. It comes with benefits as well as costs.

An AC Delco rep once told me that the only thing AC Delco makes themselves is the boxes in which to put their parts.

Actually I can’t believe they make or print boxes themselves. That is a specialty like making and printing envelopes. Its just something you wouldn’t do. Regardless, if you buy a new GM vehicle, it will have a Delco filter on it. Good enough for me but I’ll go check the ones I have on my shelf.

My Delcos on the shelf all say “product of USA”. Some used to be made in Mexico.

Did the oil change today, used the Fram filter but had to reuse the washer. The parts stores don’t carry a 16mm crush washer, or any crush washers for that matter, or any 16 mm oil plug washers either.

Odd, Subaru prides itself as a car for adventurous people who like to get off the beaten path, but it doesn’t have enough ground clearance for me to use my ramps. I had to use my jack and jack stands.

My Son’s 13 Outback Has A 2.5L (filter on top) And When I Was Looking It Over, I Commented On How Much Ground Clearance It Had To Make It Easy To Access The Oil Drain Without Raising The Car.

He hasn’t changed oil, yet, but is going with OE Subaru filters and crush washers. His dealer just sent him a card for $10 (not 10%) off any parts, perfect to help with a filter or two.

I told him to read up on oil spec. I think he needs at least a semi-syn Dexos, if I’m remembering correctly.

CSA

If you check the Fram website you will see that they make the 4 cylinder filters (7317) for your car in 4 different grades, They also make the 6 cylinder (3593A) in the same 4 grades

CSA, your son’s 13 Outback needs a full synthetic 0w20 oil. He cannot use a semi-synthetic or a higher weight oil. A 5w30 can be used as makeup oil in an emergency, but if he uses 5w30 as his oil of choice for the engine, it will not flow past the crank bearings as fast as it should. Lower flow means it gets hotter due to higher friction, breaks down into a sludge and damages the bearings.

It won’t happen over night, but it will happen.

@keith
Thanks. I’ve Used Mobil-1 Extended Performance For Years, Mainly Because It Gets So Cold Where I live. GM Specs 5w30 Conventional For My Cars Or Synthetic 5w30 At Below -20F, So I Use It Year-Around. I buy so much of the stuff, they even sent me a couple of nice Nike Dri-Fit Golf Shirts when I joined their promotion.

My son will use the specs in his Subaru Owner’s Manual for oil and he’s planning on OE filters and crush washers. Looked like the oil filter is up on top of his 2.5L engine. 0w20 Full Synthetic sounds good for the Outback.

CSA