Oil Filter gasket failure

Good luck with that. I wouldn’t hold my breath. :scream:

1 Like

The oil pressure sending unit is located on the oil filter adapter, they are known for leaking as is the oil filter adapter itself.

I would never let it out of my possession. Why would you give it to them? All they’ll say is that there is nothing wrong if that or it was faulty installation or some other engine problem. Then they’ll lose it.

1 Like

Generally when someone fails to remove the old gasket from the filter mount it results in a trail of oil going around the building. Sometimes the second seal will stay in place until the customer begins racing down the road, then pops out.

I have pulled oil filter seals off of the mount and then checked the old filter to find the gasket was not missing. Always check the mount for a stuck seal, the presence of a seal on the removed filter does not prove that the mount does not have an old seal stuck to it.

The gasket certainly looks like it was in the condition for a while. I don’t believe for one minute that happened due to the removal.

White box filters have been mentioned. The name on this one is whited out but I wonder it’s an obscure brand that did not fit quite right.

A dealer I worked for received a flyer in the mail once advertising a bunch of Chinese made filters and ignition parts.
The ignition stuff wasn’t too bad but the filters (oil, air, and gas) fitment was not very good at all. Thankfully they didn’t order much to begin with.

A BMW motorcycle dealer here ran across some white box oil filters that were about 25% of the cost of the OEM filters.
He recommended I try one on my /7. A few weeks later he told me to get that filter out of there because they were disentegrating. It took me over 2 hours to pry and curse that filter out in pieces.

2 Likes

I managed a dealer parts department, once for a couple years. I would frequently get phone calls wanting me to order “cheap” parts (in pretty massive quantities) and for my cooperation I was offered hundred dollar bills, a 30.06 rifle, etcetera, sent to my house (without anybody else knowing). :wink:

That explained all those thousands of junk hose clamps and bulbs that I “inherited” in the department, all part of “dead inventory” when I took the job. :blush:

I had a purchase order book that I controlled and ordered 10s of thousands of dollars worth of parts each month. Think of all the “going away” gifts I could have had sent to my house when I left that job. :slight_smile:
CSA

So I was finally able to get back to the mechanic and take a closer look at the filter.

A some have suggested I pushed the gasket back in and it appeared to go right back in with no issue, its just loose.

The threads look crossed would that cause this type of issue?

Its also off center but I don’t know if that is an issue at all.

Is that ultra grey RTV on the gasket? Who put it on there? Is that more ultra grey down in the holes of the filter? If so, forget my earlier post. The oil change place is 100% responsible and they owe you an engine.

1 Like

I looked up ultra grey RTV I am not seeing what you are.

From where I’m sitting, the grey appears to be just a reflection on the surface of oil visible through the holes, not sealant.
CSA

Possibly…did the mechanic who removed it say it was difficult to do so?

Yeah they said it was pretty tight.

Look at the gray on the gasket between the 1:00 and 2:00 O’clock position. Is that gray in the picture just a reflection or is there a gray sealant or something that is gray on the surface of the gasket itself?

As I look into the holes, it appears that there are gray particles down in the holes, some are in the shadow areas so I don’t see how that is a reflection.

It’s really hard to say, Keith. That looks like a spot void of oil. I think we’d need to be there.

Supposedly, mechanics are there. You’d think they’d be able to figure this out. They had the car and filter.
CSA

It would appear this post has turned into a CSI episode.

Tester

2 Likes

The threads do look a little funky, but hard to tell just from the photo if they were ever cross-threaded or not. I’ve never seen an oil filter with the middle hole off center like that either. None before I installed them anyway, can’t say I looked carefully at the old ones as they come off. I supposed if it were installed cross threaded that could cock the outside casing towards one side and cause the outside of the filter to shift a little compared to the hole as it was tightened against the engine. The counter argument is that cross threading would be so obvious as you were twisting the filter on that no experienced shop tech would ever do it. And a cross threaded filter would likely leak oil dripping to the ground in significant quantities when the engine was started.

I’d say cross-threading explains everything. The filter would then go on at an angle, and the gasket would eventually blow out as shown.

I think what keith is referring to is the gray substance on the top right of the last picture. That looks like RTV to me too.

If so, wow. It would take a special kind of moron to use RTV on an oil filter gasket.

The threads don’t look that bad to me.

To edit, I should add that the threads don’t look that bad but the thread insert appears to be canted a bit. Surely they didn’t ram this on crooked, saw a leak, and then applied RTV?

Unless they had a batch of bent 50 cent filters or bad threads and the answer was to put a little sealant on them so they wouldn’t leak when they went on crooked.