Oil Dipstick was dry and the engine made clicking sound. Now when I added oil, the sound stopped

One other point–if you take the car on a road trip, check the oil before you leave and at your first stop. Sometimes, a car will use some oil during the first 100 miles of road travel. I remember when I was in 6th grade, we started on a road trip of 300 miles in my family’s 1949 Dodge. About 200 miles into the trip, I noticed that the oil pressure gauge was fluctuating all over the scale. I pointed this out to my dad who immediately pulled over and checked the oil. It was really low. We walked to a service station where we purchased two quarts of oil and brought the level up to the add oil point on the dipstick. We then drove to the station and added another quart. My dad thanked me for saving the trip and the engine and I had a second quarter in my allowance that week.

Besides checking the oil religiously, start a “car fund” and add, say, $100/month. Anyone with a car over 100,000 miles should do this, but this episode means you should start now.

Also, please read the manual. If you don’t have one, look online, and find out what maintenance is needed. Unless you have enough money for a new or good used car. Transmission fluid needs to be changed out now and them. Coolant needs to be flushed and changed from time to time. Tire pressure needs to be checked. You might need to rotate tires from time to time. Air filter needs to be changed from time to time.

Biotiger; I don’t know for sure how much oil should be in your engine on an oil change. but 3.5 qt seems a little low, but I’m not sure.

Keep a close eye on the oil level and If you find that this engine should hold 4.5 quarts after a filter change…I’d wonder how the oil change place got it full wityh only 3.5. They may not have even let it all drain becaise they were in a hurry to go to lunch.
I’d go buy a half dozen quarts and keep it in the trunk.

Yosemite

Yes watch the oil level, Big picture, you might need an engine rebuild at 150k miles instead of 200 k miles. but odds are you will not keep that car that long anyway.