Oil consumption problem in new car

A new Mercedes 2009 E350 4matic wagon needed 6 qts of oil by 7100 miles. Soot was noticed in the exhaust system. An oil consumption test was done from 7100 miles to 10,000 as requested by MBUSA. The result was out of specs. MB USA then requested that dealer drive car another 500 miles and do numerous tests. NOW the oil consumption is in specs per dealer. Do you think that this problem is really solved in your opinion?? I requested a look at the exhaust system. An emmisions test was done which was fine.

Sometimes a brand new motor uses a bunch of oil in the break-in, wear-in, period. Were you adding oil quart by quart over those 7,100 miles? If the motor was run virtually out of oil then it could be damaged.

As you, I’m suspicious about the motor now being in specs. Some mfg specs allow a quart of oil be consummed every 1,000 which is very high in my opinion.

You spent big money for a MB and you didn’t expect to buy an oil burner. You could have bought a 10 year old used car for $3,000 if you wanted to be adding oil every couple of weeks. I think you deserve better for your money.

A this point, all you can do is check the oil consumption again yourself…What consumption rate does Benz consider “normal”? Did they tell you what they did to the car?

A Mercedes dipstick has two marks, a low and a high. There is about 3/8" between the marks.

You do not want to keep the oil topped off at the high mark. You want to be halfway in between the high/low. If you try and keep the level at the high mark the engine will “throw” the oil to try and settle at the halfway mark.

Have you been adding to top off at the high mark? If so, back off a bit and monitor the oil at the halfway mark. You can go through a lot of oil, and thinking it’s being consumed by topping it off to the high mark.

If the engine is consuming from the halfway mark then document the usage, and notify the regional zone rep if the dealer doesn’t provide satisfaction.

That’s the craziest setup I’ve ever heard of! “Full” = “Too Full”? Amazing!

I don’t think 3/8" difference in oil level can make ANY difference in ANY car…It’s been a very long time since Benz used “dip oiling”…

In the owner’s manual for my new 2011 Toyota Sienna it does state (p 609) that a “New engine consumes more oil” and “Oil consumption: Max 1.1 quart/600 miles”. I haven’t had any oil consumption in 6000 miles, but I suppose Toyota is protecting itself.

I remember back in the 1950’s, it would take a while for the piston rings in a new engine to seat. The 1953 Buick Super and Roadmaster with the newly introduced V-8 engines had a problem with the rings seating and Buick went to a different style of piston ring. I thought this problem of rings taking a long time to seat had been licked after more than 50 years. I think the problem in your 2009 Mercedes is more than a ring seating problem.

That’s the craziest setup I’ve ever heard of! “Full” = “Too Full”? Amazing!

No, FULL is fine. The FULL:ADD divide is an acceptable range. Windage and volatility can account for some usage. The poster suggested not trying to maintain full and merely maintain it within the acceptable range.

Not everything is dumbed down American consumer’d Da=ha …let’s just do it this and read the da instructions …when all else fails (one finger in nose …other in ear)

I would certainly expect more from A Mercedes. But then, Cadillac says a quart every 750 miles is NORMAL. The worst complaint here from a customer on a rebuilt engine was a quart at 2,000 miles. But then I built a 460 Ford in a 1 ton flat bed towing a front end loader that never needed a quart between changes. Go figure. How does the dealership of such a high status mark not quietly replace the engine and take it apart to find out the problem so as to eliminate it in the future. The local Hyundai dealer has replaced engines for lesser issues.

I once knew a highly paid CEO of a major company who drank a lot. Maybe a high priced automobile should have the same privilege.

Any mfr who says that 750 or 1000 miles per quart of oil with a new, broken in, modern engine is covering their behind to account for any problem. Why don’t they just say 500 miles and be done with all new vehicle oil burning complaints?

Having bought and broken in many new cars since we started a new car buying binge in 1970, we have never owned a new car that burned 1 quart per 1000 miles. Brands were from AMC, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Opel, and VW. One did develop that problem after 20,000 or so miles and was repaired with new valve stem seals. Mfrs are smart enough now to use valve stem seals that are resistant to degredation from heat.

Our 08 and 09 burn almost no oil between changes as viewed on the dipstick. Mileage between changes recommended per the computer run about 10,000 miles.

If your Benz burns oil as you say, the dealer is trying to blow you off! MB certainly knows how to make an engine better than that.

You’re incorrect. 3/8" is well over a quart, close to two.
I have no idea what you mean by Oil Dipping"…

Here is a Mercedes factory TSB on checking oil levels in a Mercedes:

TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ PASSENGER CAR DEALERS
REF. NO. MBNA 00/57A
Revision: Revised checking/correcting oil level procedure
SUBJECT: ALL MODELS ENGINE OIL LEVEL

It has recently come to our attention that some Mercedes-Benz vehicles
are being operated with too much engine oil.

Additionally, it is important that the oil dipstick remain fully
inserted in the oil dipstick tube for a minimum of 3 seconds before
rechecking the oil level again. Removing the oil dipstick immediately
after insertion, will result in an erroneous indication of the oil
quantity within the engine. Excess engine oil affects the engine`s
drivability and performance, and may lead to engine damage.

Dealers are reminded to fill the engine with the exact amount of
engine oil specified for that engine (e.g. if specified quantity is
8.5 quarts, do not fill with 9.0 quarts or 9.0 liters of engine oil).
The MAX mark on the oil dipstick must not be exceeded.

Also, please remind your customers of the proper procedure for
checking/correcting the engine oil level. Emphasizing that the engine
should be at normal operating temperature (80 ?C) and that the vehicle
is parked on a level surface. The engine must not have run
for approx. 2 minutes, to allow the engine oil to drain into the oil pan.

Then after removing and wiping off and reinserting the oil dipstick,
allow the oil dip stick to remain fully inserted in the oil dipstick
tube for a minimum of 3 seconds before rechecking the oil level again.

Ideally, the engine oil level should be around halfway between the MAX
and MIN marks on the oil dipstick.

Also, the customer should refrain from frequently "topping off" the
engine oil level.
Never add engine oil above the MAX mark on the oil dipstick. For
approved engine oil classifications and correct viscosity grades,
refer to the latest edition of the Factory Approved Service Products
sheet.

It has been my experience that synthetic motor oil does not drain back down to the pan as quickly as dino oil, thus further producing low oil levels on the dipstick when checked soon after turning off the engine. However, the factory wants you to check the level when the engine is at “Normal operating temperatures”. Therefore, ideally the level should be checked on a warm engine, but one that’s had a chance to drain back to the pan (5 min or so). My many years of experience with these engines tells me they want to run at the halfway point, and will purge any excess.

Again, my advice to the OP was to monitor the level from the halfway point, not the full point and see what the consumption is. If the OP was constantly filling to the full and keeping track of oil used they may well come up with several quarts used.

Just the way it is on these cars…

Well if it were my car, I’d suspect that they used stopleak to gum up the oil (for now) and hoped that the leak would stay plugged until you were out of warranty.