Oil change interval

We have a 2010 Toyata Camry that is 6 months old and has 2,400 miles. Should we change the oil now or wait for 5,000 miles. We put about 5,000 miles on per year, mostly suburban driving with some highway miles. Manual says 6 months or 5,000 miles whichever comes first.

Your owners manual seems pretty easy to understand…6 months worth of stop and go winter driving, change it!

To keep your warranty in force, follow the manual. Exactly.

Its your car and you do what you please.

However for warranty claims you must follow the manual.

…owner’s manual…read it…

If you do a lot of short trips and your vehicle does not get properly warmed up, I’d recommend replacing the oil twice a year. Why, because of the condensation build up inside your engine. This is the primary cause of engine sludge. Well maintained and clean engines run almost forever with today’s technology.

I drive my '06 Matrix 2-3000 miles per year, 2-3 10mi trips per week, 100mi on the highway every month or two.

I change oil every 6 months and filter once a year.

Caddyman is right; short trips need 6 month oil change intervals; my mother in law drives the same amount and changes oil spring and fall. The shop checks everything over at that time.

On the other hand, when I worked overseas most of the time, I would only put 4000 miles on my own car, but those were highway miles. In such a situation once a year is suffucient, no matter what the Toyota manual says.

Many slow-selling cars sit on the dealer’s lot for 7-9 months. The dealer does not bring these cars in for an oil change, I assure you!

Six months came first.

In my opinion 6 months or 5,000 miles whichever comes first.

Follow the owner’s manual. there’s a reason it gives miles AND time intervals.
Also, I would be more worried my gas pedal would stick than when to change the oil.