Oil change frequency owner's manual recommendation

It means whatever it says. I have a 2005 Honda Accord V6 with 188,000 miles on it. The oil change interval I use is 7000-7500 miles. It doesn’t burn oil and runs quite well.

If I read your posts correctly you are concerned about warranty problems and extra charges at lease turn in time. Stop by the service department where you got the vehicle and have them confirm the oil change schedule. Let them do it and you will have documentation ( plus the proper oil and filter installed ) in case of a problem during the lease period. If they have your email you should also receive notifications of possible service the vehicle should have.

Well, I would like to be able to get oil changes at places other than the dealer. I just don’t want to be hit with accusations that I did not have the vehicle serviced as required. As for service reminders, I’m not sure I trust those. Today I just checked the website Hyundai provides for checking things like that. It said my mileage was approaching 7500 and so my first service should be scheduled soon. But I did the first service back in May, because I was approaching 6 months, and the first service is supposed to be done at 7500 miles or 6 months. So it looks like they want me to schedule my “first” service a second time. I sure hope I’m not dinged for ignoring that reminder, and wait for the 2nd service at 12 months (or 15000 miles).

Reminders are just that, reminders. I really doubt they are linked to your service record. Non-oil change service is check/inspect items, no actual service performed. These checks are actually done by my dealer with every oil change. Think about it, dealer, courtesy ride-home, work, or I had them take us to restaurant. Then they come and get you. My dealer-price competitive plus earn credits toward future service. I could not remember when I had my fuel filter changed, dealer: you had it done 15000 miles ago, you don’t need a new one.
But why do you not want to use your dealer for service?

If you do not mind the expense, better to change too often than not often enough, I always get mine changed at least at 5k miles, even though it has an oil life monitor that has never gone off. Would it be fine using the oil life monitor, probably, do I feel better doing it too early, yes. Been through eggs are bad, eggs are good, coffee is bad coffee is good, margarine is good, margarine is bad, Mayo is good, mayo is bad, babies sleeping on the stomach is good, babies sleeping on the stomach is bad, etc. etc. I do not know there are definitive answers to all the questions in the book

As posted above, make sure to use the correct maintenance schedule for the way your vehicle is used. Many if not most car owners should use the “severe use” schedule, b/c they do a lot of short-distance drives running errands in stop and go traffic.

1 Like