Oil change every 6 months or between 7,500 to 10,000 miles?

It’s been 6 months since I last changed my oil but I’ve only driven 3000 miles during that time span. Should I wait 'til I hit the 7500 mark?
Thanks!

What does Nissan’s maintenance schedule state regarding oil change intervals, taking note of the fact that there are both mileage values and elapsed time values, with the provision of “whichever comes first”?

How is the car driven?
Have most of those miles been driven at highway speeds, or has most of your driving been “local”, and consisting of just short drives?

Some manufacturers say change every six months, and some say every 12 months, if very little mileage is put on the vehicle.

See what the manual says.

Tester

If you have a new vehicle you need to follow manufactures schedule maintenance or you could void the warranty. on my car it is 6000k miles or 6 months. next month I will need to change mine for the first time and probably will only have 1500 miles on it. but I will still change it.

1 Like

I’d do whatever the Nissan maintenance schedule says to do. Note that if your car sees severe service, there could be an alternate schedule. Severe service is a lot of stop and go or in extreme conditions like high heat.

1 Like

+1
Severe service also includes mostly short-trip local driving, which means that a whole lot of people are subjecting their engine to adverse conditions, but they might not be aware of that reality.

2 Likes

It won’t hurt your car to change the oil and filter too soon, so doing it now works. Were I in that same situation w/my older vehicles, I’d change the oil & filter at the one year mark, or when it was near the “low” mark on the dipstick or started looking too dark, whichever came sooner. That would usually be around 5,000 miles.

This is sort of like on Everybody Loves Raymond, Debra asks the mother how much wine to add to the recipe? Marie: “It depends on how much you have” … lol

From the 2013 Nissan Service and Maintenance guide

2 Likes

manufacturers recommend that you change the oil for a gasoline engine every 10,000 to 15,000 km, or about once a year for regular usage

1 Like

most automakers recommend an oil change every 12 month

1 Like

Like I said, check the owners manual.

Tester

1 Like

Your manufacturer says differently (see @wolyrobb 's post) and your usage is not “regular”, it is severe. You only average 16 miles a day, so each trip is 8 miles out and 8 miles back.

Even if you think your use is “regular” 6 months is the recommended interval.

Oil is far cheaper than a new engine.

And change your automatic transmission oil every 30K miles. It will still fail early, just not AS early as if you follow Nissan’s schedule or your own invented change interval.

4 Likes

Optimistic view, OP’s Versa may have Nissan’s manual transmission.

George, I am a realist, 90+ percent of even these cheap cars are sold with automatics. The odds are strongly in favor of an automatic.

The odds are equally strong that trans will fail far earlier than other makes. :wink:

2 Likes

Saw a recent video from retired Toyota chief design engineer and he said do 3k oil changes and change filter every 6k miles.

1 Like

That’s like taking a shower and putting your dirty underwear back on.

2 Likes

Ah, what does chief engineer at Toyota know?

1 Like

I agree with following the owners manual. The manual for my 2018 Versa says to change the oil every 5000 miles so that’s what I do.

1 Like

Before Covid, few people drove <5k/yr. So, the 1 yr oil change method was not done so much.

That was the recommended oil change in cars from the 70’s. My Vega had that recommendation. Oil every 3k miles, and filter every other oil change. No thank you.

2 Likes