Oil change : Dip stick : Oil Consumption Test

As a novice and because I have trouble shutting up, I’ll just add my general summary. A number of terms were thrown around that need some clarification.

1. Oil level. There are lots of moving metal parts in an engine spinning around at 2000 or more revolutions each minute. These parts require oil to make sure they don’t self-destruct in a hurry.
    The engine manufacturer determines how much oil should be in the engine in order to have enough to provide that lubrication. Usually 4-5 quarts. If it gets more than one quart down, a quart needs to be added so you don’t go below the minimum level. This is indicated on the dip stick.

2. Oil Usage. An engine can lose oil by either using it up as it is run or by it leaking out through the various gaskets and fittings. Normally not a problem for new engines but as they age they can leak or use oil. Remember all those spinning parts and using only a drop of oil every revolution would be a huge oil burner. This is why the oil level needs to be checked from time to time. Some say every gas fill up, but it depends on your history of the engine.

3. Oil Changes. An oil change, drains the old oil and new oil is put in. As a car is driven, the oil gets contaminated and also loses some of the additives that are put in the oil to reduce engine wear. Changing the oil on a regular basis makes sure the engine is properly lubricated to reduce wear.

4. Oil Monitors. Electronic oil monitors are just a computer program to suggest when the oil needs to be changed. It takes into consideration how many times the engine is started, how many miles were driven, the average temperature of the engine, the amount of time elapsed, etc. Then it gives you the calculation. It has no idea though what the “actual” condition of the oil is. It is just an engineering guess. Maybe a good one but still just a guess.

So I check my oil level every week or so or before a trip. I change my oil every 5000 miles and generally when the OLM says 50%. I never go beyond that. Others will disagree but its a good starting point.

Adding to the list above:

There are several types of oil monitor.

4a: Oil Pressure Monitor. This is on all cars (that I know of) and it monitors oil pressure. If the light goes on, pull over immediately and have the car towed to a shop. This indicates that the oil pressure is too low to correctly lubricate the engine, and damage is imminent.

4b. Oil usage monitor. They suggest when the oil is due to be changed. Only available on some brands/models.

4c. Oil level monitor. They are the electronic equivalent of the dipstick, and go on when the level is 1 quart low. Only available on some brands/models.

4d: AT oil temperature light. Indicates the automatic transmission is overheating. Only available on some brands/models.

and probably others.

I’d like to know what the reading of the electronic monitoring oil level is when you’re driving up a steep hill.

@JG101
Do you have the vehicle’s Owner’s Manual?

Although generally not the most exciting book and certainly not on any “best seller” lists, your manual contains a wealth of information for operating and maintaining your vehicle.

Take it in house and in spare time, read the manual. If there are other items in there that confuse you besides checking and maintaining the oil level (your car’s life-blood), please come back to this forum and ask for more help understanding.

When you are finished then return the manual to the car. In the event that you don’t have the specific manual for your car, it would behoove you to get one ASAP (as soon as possible).

There are several important items that need checking and maintaining on any vehicle, engine oil, coolant, and tires to name just a few. Taking a few minutes to monitor some things will ensure a longer life for your vehicle and safer travel for you and the car’s occupants.
CSA

Good point. But it’s just an idiot light in my car. Has never gone on.

Oil monitor . . . probably half the systems out there are based SOLELY on mileage

A more accurate term for those particular systems would be “oil change reminder”

@MikeInNH
"I’d like to know what the reading of the electronic monitoring oil level is when you’re driving up a steep hill."

My GM cars have oil level dipsticks and electronic oil level monitoring. The electronic monitor is a back-up to the dipstick method. Think of it as a redundant system like those employed by aviation. I’ve never had an indication of low oil while ascending or descending a grade, but I keep my oil full. Perhaps it would alert me if I was near a quart low, as it should.

The sensor is centered in the oil pan on a side, not an end of a transverse engine oil pan. The pan is fairly narrow there. I think the engineers had it figured out. It’s a welcome bonus feature on my cars.
CSA

Sloepoke: You are exactly correct. I check my oil level weekly after the car has sat overnight. Sometimes 2 nights. So far the only oil “use” is what I wipe off the dipstick. Or in the recent case of about 4 ounces used in 6 months which I brought to the dealership’s attention. The slightly leaking oil pan seal was repaired under warranty. Nearing another 6 month oil and filter change and still on the full mark.