Oil burn smell - significance?

Again could you help us stay focused on the topic - this would be big a help (btw, your memory doen;t make it substantiated)?

Thanks @the_same_mountainbik for your help. Appreciate it

If I asked for help with an oil leak and was told my car wasnā€™t worth fixing, Iā€™d be highly offended. Itā€™d be like being told that Iā€™M not worth helping.

Besides, the value of the OPā€™s car is nobodyā€™s business but his. He didnā€™t ask to be judged, he asked for guidance on an oil leak. Nothing more, nothing less.

2 Likes

How about YOU stay on topic :smirk:

Iā€™ll make you a deal; if you stay on topic, I will too.

Iā€™m in agreement with Volvo, a member of our community who has many useful, accurate and relevant comments to make

Iā€™m not judging OP . . . Iā€™m merely agreeing with Volvo, and making it known

You and Volvo may remember a comment sciconf had made in the past, but that hasnā€™t come up in this thread til you both brought it up. It came across as a dig, whether you meant it or not.

1 Like

I thank those provided me constructive info - helping to getting to the bottom of the issue, sharing their experience (eg diverting the oil leak to avoid the smell) etc. It served the purpose of the post. Thanks indeed.

1 Like

I have no clue how old you are but you are acting like a 3 yr old - adamantly ask for something without any reasoning - my curiosity took the better of me and found that on Apr 27, 2017 , 8:50PM, a 1989 Integra was sold for $5,900.00 - it had just under 20k miles on it - and here is the evidence unlike yours:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Acura-Integra-/311856963891?hash=item489c1fa133%3Ag%3AFr4AAOSw7U5ZANBC&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=FXJfDfwmv3uaagso0%252BNBeW9yGJg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also here is the evidence for a 1999 VOLVO V70 Cross Country AWD with 175k miles sold for $520.00 on
Jun 24, 2017 , 8:00PM:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Volvo-V70-Cross-Country-/332269100538?hash=item4d5cc81dfa%3Ag%3AN~EAAOSw42dZD4vA&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=FXJfDfwmv3uaagso0%252BNBeW9yGJg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

@db4690 - question for you - if you are not judging me, why are you judging VOLVO_V70 - a 5th grader would call it double standard: if you have bromance going, it can stay private and unrelevant to this thread - you can keep it via PM or other means. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Without any reasoning . . .

I donā€™t appreciate it when somebody suggests Iā€™m remembering things incorrectly

Nice try, I suppose, but no dice

It was you . . . not somebody else . . . who had to be told that their car wasnā€™t worth nearly as much as you thought. And I clearly remember you didnā€™t initially believe it. I have no reason to doubt your car is in fantastic shape, and may be one of the best remaining 1987 Acura Integras, but it wasnā€™t some rare, collectible and valuable automobile. That discussion already took place, and donā€™t try to say you werenā€™t a part of it

And this is all still car-related @cdaquila . . . itā€™s not veering off into politics, like our other discussions do

And I also donā€™t appreciate it, that @sciconf was accusing Volvo of trolling. Volvo makes blunt and accurate statements, if you donā€™t like his style, fine. But donā€™t tell him . . . or me . . . that weā€™re remembering things incorrectly. I may make crude statements, and come across in a bad way, but I know what I read.

I might also point out I was making on-topic comments about oil leaks, until Volvo made his comments, and I had to agree with them. But what I donā€™t appreciate is when OP tells me my memory is faulty, when he knows I remembered the discussions accurately

As for that 1987 Acura and 1999 Volvo from ebay . . . thatā€™s comparing apples to oranges.

Iā€™m not judging Volvo . . . I merely appreciate his blunt approach, and that is something that is necessary on every forum, in my opinion.

Yeah, sure, anytime :smile:

@db4690 - this is my last wake up call for you - see below, again with evidence - have no hope for you to ā€¦:
Collectible Classic: 1986-1989 Acura Integra

@db4690 - Your word ā€œcollectibleā€ is contradicted with the exact same word and a link - what happened to your memory!

@db4690 - You donā€™t have to team up with VOLVO_V70 and give me hard time for asking for help in this forum. VOLVO_V70 used to troll as a language auditor in this forum until I confronted him - pathetic & childish!

I recall a post with some admiration about the sale price of a GS-R or Type R Integra but this has noting to do with his oil leak.

I own a Charger 500 but it is not the NASCAR related 1969 Charger 500. I admire the Charger 500 and Superbird cars that made an impact in the NASCAR circuit in the late 1960ā€™s. Does that make me some sort of nut job?The general negative comments on this message board are the reason few people share their personal lives.

You can have this discussion

At this moment, I donā€™t feel like helping people who tell me my memory is faulty . . . when the past discussions are there for all to see

In fact, when you told me my comments were insubstantiated, as far as Iā€™m concerned, you were calling me a liar

1 Like

Again, cā€™mon now. Nobody called anybody a liar. Sciconf has posted here a long time, and hasnā€™t tried to start a fight.

1 Like

That would depend on which part of the head gasket is leaking, obviously. Not all head gasket leaking or seepage happens internally.

2 Likes

A head gasket is a flat rectangle and has several big round holes in it, around 2.5 inches to 3.5 inches in diameter, whatever the cylinder diameter is, one hole for each cylinder. And a bunch of other smaller holes, around 1/2-1 inch diameter, for coolant and oil. A valve cover gasket on the other hand is a narrow strip which goes around the perimeter of the valve cover. Itā€™s shaped more like an oil pan gasket.

Excellent descriptions.
Below is a graphic showing a typical 4-cylinder assembly.
The part in the 04112 portion of the drawing with the four holes in the side is the ā€œheadā€. Below it, underneath the head with the four large holes in it, is the ā€œhead gasketā€. Above it, the black gasket that runs around the edge of the top of the head and in this one has four small circles in the center (most donā€™t) is the valvecover gasket. Above that, with the oil ā€œfill pipeā€, is the valvecover itself.

What I believe in your case is likely weeping oil in the upper gasket, the ā€œvalvecover gasketā€, but as others her have pointed out it is possible that one of the smaller oil channels in the head gasket could be weeping to the outside world. As you can see in the second diagram, there are holes in the headgasket to allow oil to pass between the rocker arms and the crankcase. I hope this helps.

1 Like