OEM Tire Pressure 28/26 (rear)

87 Acura Integra

I put on new tires - the shop put the OEM pressure on the work order form.

Thy guys put on 32psi all around - should I have it changed?

They tried to do it for my newer car which has the OEM at 34/32 - I told the OEM numbers and he (different guy) changed it to OEM.

What would be the best course of action?

I would think 30-32 would work on the car. While 28/26 may give you a softer ride, I prefer to run a couple of pounds above OEM on my cars.

Are the newer and the 87 Acura running the same tire size? There may be a reason why the newer cars have higher tire pressues, so I don’t think I would run 34 without knowing the difference in tire sizes.

The pressure on new tires never seems to come out of tire shops adjusted properly.

Your best course of action is to pick up a good dial pressure gage at the parts store, stop at a gas station with a compressor, and adjust the pressure yourself. That’ll give you a gage and good practice for checking the pressure routinely as you should be doing anyway.

Interestingly enough I have found chains to be really on top of tire pressure down to printing it on next oil change sticker. VIP Auto set my exactly during an oil change and printed it on their work order and sticker.

28/26 for 195 60 14

34/32 for 195 55 15

So you are recommending 32/30 - a few pounds more - ok.

Thanks

Although I’ve read here that people have had tires changed and set at the proper air pressure, my personal experience is that I’ve always had to set the tire pressure to the correct level myself. The pressure has always been set 8 to 10 psi above the car manufacturers recommended level.

These guys intentionally put 32psi - not an error - maybe putting 32psi all around makes it easier for them - because they set the pressure digitally at 32 once for my car.

My question is what should be the psi - OEM or 32psi?

OEM. As long as the replacements are the same size tires, you should use the psi that the auto manufacturer recommends. The 32 psi is probably just a random number the guys use. It’s not dangerous but not ideal.

Whether you use the factory-specified pressure or a higher pressure in your tires, you need to make sure that you preserve the 2 lb psi bias between the front & rear tires.

If you want to leave the front tires at 32 psi, that is fine, as long as you reduce the rear tires to 30 psi. Honda specified the 2 lb pressure difference after extensive testing indicated that a higher pressure in the front and lower pressure in the rear tires reduced a tendency for poor handling–most likely a tendency toward understeer.

My question is what should be the psi - OEM or 32psi?

OEM unless they changed the tyre size, then all bets are off.

While VDC is correct, the only time you will notice the 2psi is if you should approach the limit of traction of the tires. If you are looking for improved handling and better fuel mileage, go with the higher pressure. If ride comfort is paramount, go with the lower pressure…