Oddly, bumpy tires on turn as well

I have a SAAB 93, 2001… I haven’t recently bought new tires or new brakes [although i do need new brakes … i hear a little squealing]… or had anything done at all. the left front tire sounds like it’s ‘wobbling’ when i make a sharp right turn. I can’t remember how many miles are on the front tires but i believe around 40,000 [or as little as 20,000]. i bought 2 2 years ago and 2 for years ago. I don’t believe they are the same brand. I’m thinking it’s maybe an axle issue or joint issue. Any suggestions? Thank you.

I have a few suggestions:

• Keep all the receipts for any maintenance, replacement or repair.

• Have a mechanic check out your car now and ask him to do a general check and pay special attention to the brakes, tyres and alignment.

• Have all recommended maintenance done on schedule.

The above will save you money in the long run and give you a safer more reliable car as well.

To Mr. Meehan’s good advice, I will add that you should use the same brand and size tires on all 4 wheels if you want to maintain safe, consistent handling of the car, especially on fast turns and on slippery surfaces. Different tread designs on different wheels is not a good idea.

Also, since you say that you don’t know whether the tires are the same brand or not, this suggests that you don’t do any visual inspection of your tires, and that is not good. If you personally check your tire pressures every few weeks, that allows you to get “up close and personal” with your tires, and this can give you an early warning regarding uneven wear patterns, punctures, etc. Obviously, it would also make you aware of whether you are using tires of one brand, or two brands, or multiple brands.

You need to be more involved with the maintenance of your car, but the first step is to have it inspected by a competent mechanic a.s.a.p., as this could well be a safety-related issue.