OBDII Codes Defined

I have a 1996 Chevy Lumina with over 100,000 miles. I noticed the CEL on and had it checked. It is a P4141 code. I’ve looked and can’t quite figure out what this is and what it affects on the car. What is this code, symptons, and solutions?

Where is a website that lists and explains OBD codes?

The code reader that was used must have been in error.
To the best of my knowledge, the first digit after the “P” can only be a 0, 1, 2, or 3.

I suggest that you have the code(s) read at another establishment.

Try this site.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Ed B.

If a code does not actually exist, no decoding site will help the OP.

Since it appears to me that all OBD2 codes begin with the prefixes P0, or P1, or P2, or P3, it is unlikely that this site will explain a trouble code such as P4141.

Of course, it is possible that this is a GM-specific code, but in terms of generic codes, there is no such animal as P4141.

Sorry, P1441

P1441 - EVAP System Flow During Non-Purge Conditions.

Sounds like the purge valve is stuck open.

P1441 Evaporative Emission (EVAP)System Flow During Non-Purge

I’m going from memory, but I believe that the initial 1 in the code says that it is not one of the government mandated OBD-II codes which start with P0, but is instead a code that the manufacturer added on their own. Usually, these P1— codes have some relation to the corresponding p0— code. Usually it will be a variant of the corresponding P0— code, but sometimes the relationship is more obscure. It is important to keep in mind that P1441 from one manufacturer might be different than P1441 from another whereas P0441 will be more or less the same across all car makers.

In this case:

P0441 = Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P1441 = EVAP system flow during non-purge (probably) Try this link http://www.mombu.com/chevrolet/cavalier/t-trouble-code-p1441-838155.html

I think it’s telling you that there is leakage of some sort somewhere in the evaporative emissions control system that somehow doesn’t qualify for one of the other P044- codes. You may have to figure out how the EVAP system on your 1996 Lumina works to figure out which sensor could be causing this error and why.

To find a vehicle manufacturer specific code, in your search engine type in the manufacturer such as GM, then DTC, and then the code number.

Tester