O2 Sensor bad

@badbearing, if you’re going online, Amazon.com or Rockauto.com. Skip ebay unless you feel scam-proof. The O2 sensor from Rockauto I got is denso, and much cheaper than NAPA or any of the other local parts slingers, even with shipping.

Ive never heard of Rockauto until today. I will check it out. Thanks

Yeah. I dont do ebay

Rockauto had the part for about 10 cheaper. Lets see how delivery goes. 1-6 days to Alaska for just over $3.00

Not bad

Thanks Guys

While you’re waiting for that O2 sensor to arrive, start soaking the mounting bolts with a penatrating lubricant.

I don’t want you coming back and asking, “How do I remove a snapped off O2 sensor bolt?”

Tester

Yeah that already ran through my mind. Its been 30 below. Supposed to warm up tomorrow so i will have a look at it.
I know how to get it out if i have to…lets hope that dont happen

Thanks

The bolts come loose on o2 sensor so thats all good but i got looking and there it no connector. The wire runs up into the floor board. Comes up bu door on passenger side.

How do i find the connector

I did some research and came up with more confusion. some say theres only 1 o2 sensor some say 2 and others say 3. I guess ill replace the one i know exists and it looks like i have to cut the wires and use connectors to reconnect it.
Will look for the one they claim may be on the manifold and the one after the cat. which im pretty sure isnt there.

Best case senario i put the one on and the light goes out.

If it’s a 1989, then it’s OBDI and I believe you only have upstream sensors (before the cat).
Assuming that’s true, then a 4-cyl would have only 1, and the 6-cyl would have 2.

That would be awesome. yes its an 89 4 cyl & the sensor is upstream just before the cat

Thanks

@badbearing

Since you have a 4 banger, you have at most 2 sensors

@db4690,

ODB-I Toyota with 4 cyl (one bank). Only has one O2 sensor before the cat. Let’s not confuse the OP.

It just keeps getting better

Thanks

@BustedKnuckles

My 1995 1.8 7A-FE OBD1 Corolla had 2 oxygen sensors

The rear sensor was for monitoring the catalytic converter

I’m just using this as an example to show that some OBD1 cars had downstream oxygen sensors

In case anyone is wondering, that car I mentioned wasn’t one of the “in-between” cars that had the 16pin obd2 connector. It didn’t. And the emissions sticker clearly said obd1. I have seen 1994 and 1995 vehicles with the 16pin obd2 connectors, and the sticker sometimes said obd2. That was not the case here, though.

Yeah, but it is an '89. The downstream sensor only showed up in '95, maybe '94 Calif. Emission models, as a pre-cursor to the 1996 odb-ii requirements. As I said, let’s not send out confusion here.

My car was a 49-state car, by the way

In any case, we can probably agree on one thing

@badbearing needs the upstream sensor

There’s only one O2 sensor.

Tester

Does bad o2 cause anything bad to end up in the oil? seeing as how it controls mixture.

I know i flooded a carbureted engine so bad once there was gas in the oil

Without the O2 sensor working the computer follows a slightly rich program that’s probably about as accurate as a well set up carburetor.
You won’t get gross fuel dilution in the oil.

p.s. My '88 Accord (fuel injected) had two o2 sensors, both upstream.

Groovy

I ordered a Denso and after looking at it i’d say its a Bosch. Thats unfortunate. Will my current o2 say Bosch on it. ( to lazy to crawl under it in the snow at 1 above right now)