NPR reports on a system that detects whether a driver is drunk without the driver's participation

Hey it’s the flu season. Any of you folks use hand sanitizer? Plan on walking if you do. I realize it’s not that effective but still we need to think we are shielding ourselves from the black death.

1 Like

As a matter of fact, I have a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk. I ordered them, along with facial tissues, when I ordered office supplies in order to cut down on absenteeism.

…and I got my flu shot a couple weeks ago too.

Wrong path in my opinion. Here’s how we should be detecting distracted and impaired drivers.

2 Likes

Back in the late 1990s, I was taking a public speaking class, and I got a chance to debate the issue of drug testing in the workplace.

During my research, I discovered there was a computer program you could buy that would test your reflexes. You load the software, attach a joystick to a PC, and then you use the joystick to keep the moving dot in the middle of the screen. You take a baseline test on your first day of work, preferably at the end of the day when you’re most likely to be sober, and then at the start of every shift, you have to take the test to make sure you’re not impaired.

The nice thing about the test is that it could detect other performance hazards, like a stroke, or being hungover, or being impaired by prescription medication, but more importantly, it tested for performance rather than lifestyle, respecting the test subject’s privacy.

I always wondered why this idea never took off and drug testing remained in place when it is so much less effective.

Our accountant considers kleenex a personal item, so I took a cd spindle, labeled it kleenex and put a roll of tp on it. That is kleenex for my car also, without the spindle. Kills me how much those little packs of kleenex cost.

1 Like

Our purchasing department does the same thing. I have to justify it every time I place an order, but ordering the tissues and hand sanitizer has cut down on absenteeism, so it works.

2 Likes

Well just a tip but it takes about 4 minutes to actually sanitize your hands and using it can create little cracks in the skin that can actually make cleaning your hands harder. So use sparingly when you can’t wash. I use it undercover at church because everyone insists on shaking hands with everyone else, but I don’t want to go out to the parking lot and have the car think I’m drunk.

The sanitizer I order has aloe in it for moisturizer.

I hate that hand shaking thing. I keep some sanitizer in my car, I guess I’ll have to read the directions, my doctor does not even do it for 4 minutes.

Good to know I’m appreciated.

I use a blowtorch instead. I have paper gloves labeled ‘Sanitized for your safety

We still have that in NM.

Use toilet paper instead.

Wow, Barky, I’m looking at your photo…
A little dog that hates hand shaking? What have you got, a really cheap owner?

News flash… Most dogs like shaking hands because they’re rewarded with treats!

I’d try running away to a better home!
CSA
:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

HA HA, do you know how hard it is do pop the cap on the hand sanitizer with paws?

2 Likes