Nostalgia

1974 Chevy el Camino. My dad had one when he died. Sadly, it went to someone who kept it for a week. my dad in law sold me his for a buck when he was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. It has been an ‘outside’ vehicle and the paint confirms this. It will be around for my survivors to deal with. Should I have it painted or leave it in ‘original condition’?

Is there any rust that needs to be addressed by painting ?
Is the rest of the car original ? ( engine, upholstery, etc )

If rust and major body work is not a big issue my vote is to leave it be. As it is it’s a piece of the unrestored nostalgic past and my personal preference is always for a faded, dinged original as compared to a shiny new mehhhhh look.

My neighbor had one of these. The paint quality at that time was awful and I would just leave it alone as you will spend a fortune to get it in any shape.

My FIL had a 78 I think, South Dakota car so no rust. When he died we sold it to my engineer nephew. Changed wheels, engines, and who knows what else and had it repainted in the original color. He enjoyed it but just sits in the garage now. I think if the paint is aging, then have it repainted but a good paint job will be more than the vehicle is worth.

If rust isn’t an issue, just giving the finish a thorough cleaning and then a wax job every 6 months and keep it clean in between wax jobs by rinsing it off w/a hose once a week. Otherwise, leave well enough alone.

Are your future survivors old enough to offer their preference? If so, let them decide.

Whether you have it painted or not, keeping it clean and waxed is always good advice.

It isn’t exactly a classic vehicle. I suggest that you keep it in the condition that you like. If you prefer a painted El Camino and that will make you more likely to drive it, then by all means get it painted. If you keep it, you should use it. If I owned it, I would do a mild restoration including paint, tuneup, new tires, and anything else that would make it reliable enough to drive from time to time.

I know if it was my dad he would want his heirlooms to be shiny and pretty. I vote for making it look nice, I recall my first car, a 1961 olds dynamic 88, it came to me after my grandfather had spinal tumor surgery, and afterword could not drive or even walk. He lamented if I knew the car was going to you, I would have bought a better one.

El Caminos of the 70s are daily drivers in my area where salt is not an issue and quite a few men in their 60s like me appreciate the reliability and relative simplicity of those vehicles. If well maintained they are relatively safe on the road and parts are as common as milk and eggs. Enjoy it.

I dunno Barky, what’s better than a 61 Olds? Maybe a 59, but those were beautiful cars.

@bing I think he was thinking a Cadillac but I will never know.

While not a major classic, these El Caminos are seeing a big jump in interest. I worry less about the paint than rust. Has the OP taken a look under the car? Many good cars have turned worthless as they rusted away sitting unused on the driveway/side yard/etc. Dry storage is the key.