No oil after oil change

Ok, thank you all for all that advice–I’m taking notes and I will take it all to the dealer and have them check what everybody listed. My dad said the same thing about metal shavings in the oil. I said “seized” because that really is what it felt like–as if something grabbed the hood of the car and the car stopped running. There was no stalling sound. No lights came on on the dash until the “seizing” sensation occurred. I’m just using the word “seize” as a description of how it felt; I have no idea what that would look like or feel like if it really happened. Also I suppose I should have put a question mark at the end of my heading and that would have helped as well. Really appreciate all this interest and advice and I will update after I visit the dealer–hoping to take it in May 26. I prefer peace of mind over wealth so I’ll probably pay whatever they charge to do a full diagnostic. It will be the Honda dealer in Waldorf, MD.

I think you are fine. They likely disconnected something around the air filter when they do they typical check and scare the customer with a $40 replacement for something that costs them $10 for part.

Seized led folks astray.

These shops are convenient however the mechanical knowledge is very limited along with wage rate. Things go astray.If you can find a trusty local independent for oil change initially, you may be in much better hands. As you get a feel for them(trust) when need something like brakes or other maintenance.

Your dealer is way too far unless something is covered by warranty.

How so @Mikeinnh ??

Several reasons…Sometimes the sending unit is faulty.

Also by the time the sending unit detects no oil pressure…the damage may already be done. Especially in an engine that had no oil in it what-so-ever.

A seized motor literally locks up. It can’t turn and nothing moves not the pistons, nothing. When the motor stopped; you turned the key to the start position did the starting motor turn the engine? If yes, the starting motor could turn over the engine it wasn’t seized up. Big difference between stalled engine and seized engine. If the starting motor can turn the engine whether it starts or not it isn’t seized up.

Bing, I personally was led astray by the words “air pocket in the throttle body”. I got so upset when I read that, that I was rendered unable to think straight !!!

Occasionally we join together to list the dumbest things ever told to a customer by a shop. We’ll have to remember this one. It’ll be a classic. It sets the bar awfully high.

Even if this checks out fine take this as a lesson to never use this facility again. Apparently the manager of the facility doesn’t know anything about cars either otherwise he’d know air passes though the throttle body continuously. Sounds like the manager is just as clueless as the person doing the oil changes.

Update: took the van to the Honda dealer in Annapolis today; they found absolutely nothing wrong with it. They theorized that the oil change shop had disconnected the air flow sensor when they changed the air filter. Incidentally, Honda did not even charge me for the service, which they termed a “safety inspection”. They were not concerned about the engine being run without oil; they felt certain the oil light would have come on and stayed on, or the engine would have been knocking or producing definitive sounds that indicated a problem. Pretty much what was said here already. The Honda in Annapolis was very proud of themselves and boasted having the most highly trained mechanics on the entire east coast–fyi if you own a Honda :wink:

Also incidentally, I will be writing the VP of “Mr. Tire” and requesting a reimbursement for the cost of the tow truck–and will try to make the long, long trek to the dealer for scheduled maintenance from now on. Thanks again for all the great advice and knowledge.

What I wonder about is if that theory about a disconnected MAF sensor is correct then why did it take 4 miles for a problem to surface?

Regarding engine seizures it is quite possible for an engine to seize solid and then free up as it cools down.
Been there, seen that so to speak.

I think its more plausible, as I think Nevada guessed (& apologies if that is wrong), that they left the intake snorkel loose & it came off after about 4 miles at which point the MAF would have been very confused. Or a rag or something of that nature got left in there & eventually sucked onto the throttle body.

@stationwagoner, you have more choices than just quickie lubes or the trek to the dealer. There are lots or perfectly fine independent mechanics who can take care of your van as well as a dealer can, and often for less $$. Just start asking around among people you know for trusted, local, independent shops.