Nitpicking A 2013 Subaru Outback (And A Car Purchase Update)

In Minnesota we had Al Franken's radio program until it went off the air. It was one of the worst talk programs I've ever heard and very boring.

Then you haven’t been to Boston and listened to Conservative talk show host Jay Severin. Tough to keep track of where this blow-hard is since he keeps getting fired from radio stations. I think the combined IQ of his studio audience is well below 100.

@acemaster I’ve never met a mechanic who bought a new car. They usually buy nicely equipped used cars that have depreciated a lot already. They do the upkeep themselves for only the cost of parts and they often don’t drive as much as others.

I’m thinking of Lincoln Town Cars, Buicks, and other loaded vehicles that often started their lives as corporate transportation.

@Docnick
Talking About Mechanics, You Mentioned, “They usually buy nicely equipped used cars that have depreciated a lot already. They do the upkeep themselves for only the cost of parts and they often don’t drive as much as others.”

I’m a “shade tree mechanic” and purchased only two new cars in many decades of buying and operating family vehicles. Although I can afford new cars, I now employ the mechanics’ strategy that you describe.

I find that it is much more economical. Furthermore, I find little pleasure in owning a new vehicle (besides, how long will it be new?). I derive great pleasure from the hunt for a good used “corporate transportation” or former rental car, or private owner vehicle, their purchase, and the maintenance and repairs that I perform. It’s almost a game with me to see how much money I can save in wisely buying parts and doing the work myself.

CSA

@Docnick

“I’ve never met a mechanic who bought a new car.”

I’ve known several mechanics over the years, who bought new cars or trucks. I even know one guy who buys new, drives it a few years, then trades in for another new car.

These guys also financed. I know that, because they told me, without me even asking the question

I even knew a few guys who leased fancy cars

I know I would never do either

But these guys seem to be pretty happy with their decisions

I’ve never met a mechanic who bought a new car. They usually buy nicely equipped used cars that have depreciated a lot already. They do the upkeep themselves for only the cost of parts and they often don’t drive as much as others.

I’m thinking of Lincoln Town Cars,

Funny you mention that. One of my daily drivers right now is a Town Car. It was previously an airport service car, on the road 24/7. When I bought it, it had 100,000 miles on it and nobody wanted such a new car with that many miles and it had been on the lot for 3 months. I made a lowball cash offer and was able to buy a 3 year old car for $10,000.