Nissan 1992 starter

how do i replace the starter?,is there anything to take off first, or can i just remove the starter by itself?

John, Is This A 300ZX ? What Model And Engine Do You Have ?

We can’t help more without the information. However, always disconnect the negative (-) battery cable from the battery first. Connect it after the starter has been replaced.

always disconnect the negative (-) battery cable from the battery first.

Actually it does not make any real difference. As long as either is disconnected it is equally off. However the negative is usually the easiest to disconnect and assure it stays disconnected.

Or if you wanted to get really crazy, you could disconnect both!

The reason to remove the negative first is safety. A triple chrome plated wrench on the positive cable to remove it first means a risk if that wrench touches anything else metal. Instant flash weld. I always recommend negative first. A friend of mine had gotten 3rd degree burns across his fingers when that happened to him.

The Reason The Negative Is Always Recommended First Is That If You …

accidently (and I have) bump or touch any part of the car (a “ground”) there won’t be a problem. Do the positive first and you can see a shower of sparks or worse. Like you, I didn’t heed my own advice once and still bear the scars where my watch band melted the flesh on my wrist. The band was touching ground and the wrech was touching the positive cable bolt and watch band. Always disconnect the negative (-) battery cable from the battery first.

Oh, and since you’ve heard that you should remove any jewelry or loose clothing while working on a car, do that too.

John Click This Link To A Recent Discussion.
"Oops! forgot to disconnect battery cables before removing…"
http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2118046.page