Nightmare at Valvoline

:smile:

So, my question is, did they really use synthetic oil or it was some unidentified oil from a black tanker?

Good question,but some synthetics are highly refined natural oil.
Kudos to MB,I have done similar things in the past.

I wouldnā€™t know, I donā€™t let them change my oil, I only go there for my state inspection and anything else they would advise, I would only say ā€œno thank youā€.

Stories like this one and the following comments are what keep me working on my cars (and a whole lot of other stuff, too!). Itā€™s hard to find someone who will do the job correctly, to the same standard Iā€™d hold my own work, even IF you pay premium prices for it.

Too few people WILL pay premium prices for work to a high standard. Maybe thatā€™s the problem. Unwillingness to pay for proper professional work. The flip side is people paying a premium and still getting substandard work; that really ticks me off even more!

My 98 Pathfinder had a splash guard that had to be removed to change the filter. Itā€™s a painā€¦but not too bad once you get use to it. Total of 10 bolts. On the Pathfinder Forrum I had heard of stories of people taking their pathys in for oil changes and then finding either they cut a hole in the panā€¦or they only put back in 4 bolts (One at each corner). Some were removed completely. Iā€™m proud to say that after nearly 500k miles and nearly 500 oil changes the pan was still there along with all 10 bolts and there wasnā€™t a hole cut.

Mike, doesnā€™t that Pathfinder have a removable cover in the passenger side front wheel well that you just unsnap to get at the filter?

Keith - Maybe nowā€¦but NOT the 98 Pathy with the 3.3l. The filter was directly under the engineā€¦right about in the middle.

I just did a transmission fluid drain and refill on my Sonata and had to take off the bottom plastic cover too. Quite a few bolts and screws. All is back now and nothing is missing or loose. It added extra time to the job but I donā€™t want someone else to hack into it.

I need two more drain and refills since the fluid did not look that great at 35K Miles (whatever lifetime means!). Not a big deal but staying away from the dealership as long as I can.

Thats why we need transmissions we dont have to service(and they can be be produced)
Really? I'd think that akin to "fighting words" here: the general consensus seems to be that the MFRs have pushed AT service intervals right up to the technological limits--and then CONTINUED to push well beyond said limits! (Oh well, it ought to outlast the warranty period.)

Not excusing the shop--but isn't the proliferation of belly pans (in applications where they don't really "do anything", other than marginally improve MPGs) asinine? Were it my personal vehicle, I'd be tempted to run it for a tank or two with/without, and make an "executive decision" re: the untimely demise of the pan, especially if it appears to promote frame rust!