New York State new car registration

Bing: That is the way it works here. We can renew registration online and are required to type in insurance company policy number/expiration date and their telephone number. The only thing left is the most important. Credit card number. 3-4 days later you receive new plate stickers good for 2 years.

While people driving without insurance or DLs is very upsetting, I have uninsured/under insured coverage for those instances and so should everyone else to protect your own self and family.

What business is it of the dealer or the DMV whether or not a car is insured?

Each state has their own laws. In NY…Insurance is REQUIRED. Same with MA. Here in NH…you don’t have to have any insurance…although if you finance the vehicle the finance institute will require you to have insurance. And if you own any assets, then it’s wise to get insurance…because if you caused an accident…without insurance they can go after any assets you have (homes, stocks, bank-accounts…etc…etc)

What good is that going to do if you or someone in your family is maimed by one of these self-centered fools that do not have insurance?

That’s why you get under-insured coverage. Many lower income people in NH don’t have insurance. They do damage to your vehicle or bodily damage to you…too bad…they are considered Judgement Proof. You can’t go after them because they don’t have anything.

True some are druggies, drunks, or worse, but just because a guy doesn’t have insurance or a DL doesn’t necessarily mean that he is a hazard on the road. Maybe just illegal. The problem is that even good drivers make mistakes and cause injuries. A guy without insurance or assets can’t pay for the resulting loss so you just have to protect yourself against that possible event.

In California the insurance company notifies the DMV directly that you have insurance, and if you cacell or it lapses they tell DMV and you get a notice that the registration is suspended.

And if you don’t have uninsured and underinsured coverage, you’re crazy. I wouldn’t drive without it.

I am fully aware of how to protect myself by having uninsured/under insured coverage. I don’t like having to shoulder additional burden because some yokel decides not to have insurance so they can save the money to buy the next nintendo. One way to at least inflict some pain on these fools is to MAKE them prove they have insurance at the time they go to register a car. In MA, if your insurance lapses, they cancel your registration immediately. Get pulled over- you’re going to jail so at least there is some sort of penalty for not having any social responsibility for yourself…

I expect many people posting on this board are smart enough to review the amount of uninsured/under insured coverage they have to make sure they are fully covered. The minimum is a joke and if you aren’t paying attention, you’ll be paying in another way in the event of an encounter with one of these low-lifes…

True some are druggies, drunks, or worse, but just because a guy doesn't have insurance or a DL doesn't necessarily mean that he is a hazard on the road.

Never said they were a hazard…just that if they do cause an accident…the under-insured coverage is a good idea.

don't like having to shoulder additional burden because some yokel decides not to have insurance so they can save the money to buy the next nintendo. One way to at least inflict some pain on these fools is to MAKE them prove they have insurance at the time they go to register a car.

OH…I agree 100%. But unfortunately I have to live with the reality that you don’t have to have insurance in NH…and several other states. Good friend of mine’s daughter was seriously injured when her ex-boyfriend flipped his car doing 90mph on Rt 3a a few years ago. Since his daughter was 28…and wasn’t working and no insurance…she’s still paying off her medical bills. Her ex had no insurance and his only asset was the car he flipped. (maybe worth $5,000).

My annual October trip to the US is centered around car registration and inspection requirements. I might go anyway, but it is dictated for me by the government when I must go.

This time I did not get the annual letter with the numbers on it, so I could not get the renewal at the supermarket and had to go find the county offices. Once I did, it only took a few minutes to get the sticker and new plates.

Might as well get used to it. If you study history, you learn new nations have a minimum of laws and regulations, most of them centered around keeping people from physically harming each other. Ala Malthus in a bureaucratic manner, those laws and regulations increase forever, with virtually none ever repealed, until the society makes like a big balloon stuck with a pin. Nobody seems to ever learn. And, it seems to always be a surprise when the system collapses.

A non-auto example is the sign on store doors which says something like this door must be unlocked during business hours. A friend started a small business selling sports memorabilia. The government inspectors not only come to see if the sign is on the door. They take a tape measure and verify the spacing is exactly within specs. If it is not, there is a significant fine.

And, cars with those tiny lights making up a large signal, such as stop light, if there are 10,000 of those little light cells, and one is out, there are cops who will cite you for burned out light cell. With no improvement in safety.

I Have Additional Underinsured Motorist And Uninsured Motorist Coverage On All My Auto Policies. In Most (All?) States This Insurance Helps Cover One’s Injury Expenses When The Other Motorist, At Fault In The Collision, Has Inadequate Or No Liability Insurance. Collision And Comprehensive Coverage Takes Care Of One’s Vehicle.
Be sure and check and understand what your insurance covers.

@wentwest
"And if you don’t have uninsured and underinsured coverage, you’re crazy. I wouldn’t drive without it. "

That is good advice to help protect one’s self from "the other guy."
I could expand that and add that if you’ve got assets to protect and you don’t have an Liability Umbrella Policy, then you’re crazy. That protects you if you mess up, wherever you are, and in some cases if somebody claims you did (even if they are truly at fault). It adds additional liability coverage to what is in your auto and home policies. Also, since the insurance company has “skin in the game,” you’ll get help in the lawsuit.

CSA

Just call Geico and ask THEM to notify NYS that the car is insured…Otherwise, just make a copy of your proof card and mail it to them…