New widdow needs help

I have a 2003 hyundai accent that just quit having a spark. It has plenty of crank power and the lifters are moving.

My husband died in July and I don’t want to get burned by a mechanic, I know a little bit about how to replace parts but not how to diagnose problems. The closest dealer to me is 50 miles away even if I could afford to get it there. I live in a small town in Ohio and most of the people I’ve talked to don’t work on Hyundais. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I hope you have a repair manual, like Haynes, or Chilton’s.
The engine cranks; but, you don’t know if there are sparks from the spark plugs, or if fuel is going into the engine, or enough air.
To answer these questions, you can get test spark plugs (which clamp onto the engine block), and fuel injector test lights called 'noid lights.
Check for lack of fuel by spraying Starter Fluid into the air intake tube. If the engine now starts and dies, that shows that fuel isn’t getting into the engine. Lack of fuel could be caused by no fuel flow or a dirty fuel filter.
Be sure the air filter, spark plugs, and fuel filter (if it’s not in the gas tank) are newish (a couple of years old, or so).
Try these things and let us know the results.

I would also call several independent shops who say they work on Toyotas or Hondas. There is nothing particularly magic or complicated about a Hyundai, and anyone who works on Toyotas or Hondas should be able to diagnose and fix this. Like many small towns, special Hyundai parts are available from the nearest dealer can be overnighted (if critical) or via UPS ground in about two days. Parts availability thru aftermarket parts sellers like Advance and O’Reilly’s has also improved substantially.

My condolences on the loss of your husband, but it is now important to find a quality, trustworthy, local mechanic you can trust and stick with him. When my father passed away many years ago, my mother was in a similar situation, and thankfully we got her linked up with some really good folks, allowing to me not have to worry about her car problems when I was 200 or more miles away.

I have to ask if you tried holding the gas pedal down about an inch when you start the car?

You have my sincerest condolences. The last thing you need is car trouble.

If you are the original owner and the car has fewer than 100K on it, the powertrain is still under warranty. However, that may not cover what is wrong with the car. As already stated, there is nothing magical about Hyundais. Any decent mechanic should be able to diagnose the problem. Do you have a friend or neighbor who can recommend someone?

Life will get better, on YOUR timetable (I speak from experience here.)

Please accept my most sincere condolence on the loss of your husband.

Why are your local mechanics afraid of Hyundais? They are no different from other makes of cars. Basically they’re all the same.

In this century mechanics have access to electronic databases and repair manuals online, for ANY make of car. If they don’t go somewhere else.

Keep looking until you find an independent mechanic who will work with you on this car. Hyundais are not “special,” or “difficult,” they’re just cars.