New Vehicle Engine/drive train Break in period

I just purchased a new 2009 Silverado. Upon recieving the vehicle I took note that the vehicle had 330 miles on the odometer. I then found out the the dealer purchased it from another dealer 320 miles away and they drove it to my dealer. I am assuming that whoever drove it did not comply with rules of the 500 mile break-in period of 55 mph or less and varying speed. What damage could have occured because of this?

Unless there’s some reason to suspect otherwise, none. It was probably treated far better than if the mileage had been accumulated in test driving from potential purchasers and in truth in today’s engines “break in” is really only an extreme percautionary measure.

Enjoy your new ride.

I wouldn’t worry about this. Most owners don’t follow the recommended break-in procedure. Most owners don’t even know there is such a thing. Dealer swaps are common, so it’s not unusual at all for a “new” vehicle to have made a trip from one dealer to another.

Often, pick-ups are delivered to fleets, filled with gas and put into service hauling maximum+ loads and driven mercilessly for hundreds of thousands of miles. They seem to thrive on such treatment.

I seriously doubt there is any rule for 55mph and varying speed. Check your owners manual.

I agree with all of the comments already stated. But you may still want to call GM customer service. As you know, GM is not your dealer and your dealer is not GM. If you call GM customer service, you can get the answer from the manufacturer’s perspective.

To be prudent, if your sales contract indicates the mileage at delivery, you should, while you’re on the phone with GM, make sure their official warranty database correctly indicates the odometer mileage at time of delivery.

Why the Silverado? …Too impatient to wait for the Volt? :wink:

Page 2-21

Starting and Operating Your
Vehicle

New Vehicle Break-In

The vehicle does not need an elaborate
break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if
you follow these guidelines:
? Keep your speed at 55 mph (88 km/h) or less for
the first 500 miles (805 km).
? Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or
slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not
make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to
brake or slow the vehicle.
? Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
(322 km) or so. During this time the new brake
linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops
with new linings can mean premature wear and
earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in
guideline every time you get new brake linings.
? Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing
a Trailer on page 4-50 for the trailer towing
capabilities of the vehicle and more information.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can
be gradually increased.

Three houses to take care of,need something I can haul things in and probably something to tow the Volts back to a outlet. It’s a multi fuel engine so there is some green to it. Thanks for the respomse.

Ha ha ha Good one. Ha ha ha

You should have no problem as modern machine tools and metal cutting bits have made the break in process very simple and insensitive to engine damage compared to what it used to be.

I would have, however, reminded the dealer that I am paying for a new vehicle, not a used one with 320 miles. If your purchase contract did not specify odometer mileage less than 25 or so, you might want to include that next time.

Dealers can ship vehicles from another dealer on a flatbed truck if you request.