New Toyota engines and transmissions

In case your interested.

1 Like

Looks interesting.

hybrid system …, involving one electric motor acting as a generator and another as a power unit for the drivetrain.

I always understood that electric/hybrid cars used the motor as a generator. splitting the functions up to two units seems strange ??

Wow, 13:1 and 14:1 compression ratios. Race car only stuff only a decade ago.

Maybe the split motor system is to allow one motor/generator to act as a starter motor, a generator and a torque booster while the other acts as a torque booster motor and brake reclamation generator.

Not all hybrids worked that way.

“Toyota will introduce 17 versions of nine new engines and 10 versions of four transmissions from 2017 to 2021. These will be combined with new electrified components for 10 versions of six new hybrid-electric drive systems in that timeframe.”

I would point to this statement as a suggestion that there’ll be a whole lot of different powertrain architectures when all is said and done. I wouldn’t expect any of them to be conventional.

I guess we’ll all find out together later this year. There’s so much in the article that I, for one, will take some time to digest it all. I guess I’m not as fast as I used to be. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Toyota’s system uses two electric motors, always has I think.