New Tires feels like I'm sliding and swaying

Just an FYI, but this thread is 8 years old and odds are high the OP may not respond to you. It’s very easy to overlook the somewhat dim date stamps on the posts; especially when one is concentrating on a problem.

Just curious but exactly what Michelin tires do you have? It’s possible the compound could be hard, designed for long life, and the traction may not be as good as other tires.

1 Like

Also, how old are these new tires? Check the number on the sidewall.

1 Like

Have you talked to the tire shop and is there another driver in your household that can drive and see if it feels the same way ?

Btw we put in a request to have the date stamps darkened. I don’t know when it will go through, but this is in the works.

1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t comment in this thread before. Here’s some more fuel for the fire.

First, tire manufacturers do use mold release lube and sometimes it is applied to the tread area. As a general rule, it isn’t the mold release lubes that cause problems.

• BUT -

The rubber in tires has chemicals, such as waxes, that migrate to the surface to protect the tire in storage. Sometimes these waxes take a while to scrub off and while that is happening, the tire may feel slippery - even in summer heat.

2 Likes

I fully agree with @CapriRacer but would like to add that if you feel the tread area of a brand new tire on the shelf, the rubber is as smooth as a babies … Once the tire has accumulated a few miles, the surface is rough. We used to call this “stipple”.

I once took a used car out for a test drive. I didn’t know the dealer had just put on 4 brand new tires Goodyear Polyglass, they had less than 50 feet on them. I crossed the road and turned hard left to not hold up traffic when the rear came around about 270*. After about a quarter mile of driving, they stopped being so slippery.

I bought the car, never had an issue with the tires again.