New technology, in 1948

Mike- thank you. Youve just given me a great idea to explore.

A guy on YouTube showed the strange markings on his truck. Turns out it was cattle licking the salt off of the truck. Another reason to wash your car in the winter.

1 Like

I have an older Sears Craftsman Garage Door opener and the Remotes each have three buttons. All three can be programmed for different (Craftsman) openers… A couple of years ago after I changed the batteries on my remotes, I was reprogramming the remotes so all three buttons opened the one door. This way no matter what button we hit, the garage door opened.

My neighbor saw my garage door going up and down, up and down, and he stopped by. We gabbed and he mentioned that he also had a Craftsman garage door opener with three button but did not know he could program the three buttons for his door.

So I went over and taught him how to program the opener, what he did not notice was that I pocketed one of my openers and when we were programming his, I programmed one of my buttons to his door. After we finished, we tested his openers and all three buttons opened his door. Then when we were talking in his driveway, I surreptitiously started pressing the button on my controller in my pocket…

It was hilarious as he thought we broke his Garage door opener as his garage door started going up and down, up and down, he was staring at his garage door and did not notice what I was doing…

After a moment of me having fun, I showed him what I did, we had a good laugh, and then he had me cancel the code on my controller to his door.

As I mentioned, my garage door opener is an older unit and I do not know if this feature is available in other makes and models…

1 Like

Similarly, my 26 year old Genie Garage Door remotes also have 3 buttons, even though I only have 2 garage doors.

My previous car had the capacity to use buttons on my rear view mirror for this function, but I never used it. My new car has the same capability, but–at least so far–I am using only my 26 year old remotes to open the garage doors

Our Volvo will not link with our new garage door opener . But since I have to leave both vehicles out sometimes while wood stain and finishes dry I just remove the openers . I have one opener by the utility room door so I can open the garage door and one on the lawn mower so I can close the door while mowing.

Feh! New-fangled electric starters! What in tarnation!! What next? Automatic clutches?

1 Like

Yeah I use the button remotes for the car and snow blower. For the other switches I have essentially rocker switches. Two fit side by side in an outlet box with the decorator type switch plate. Found them at the surplus store 20 years ago. I don’t know if the car remote will work with the new opener but it is a newer one so maybe.

That is life north of Central Square. I remember the names vividly, Sandy Creek, Pulaski, Adam and many more.

I think I will not correct “lick the door”. It is too funny to delete.

1 Like

As a young kid we lived in Syracuse. Then before I was a teenager we moved to Pulaski (about 30 miles north of Syracuse). Syracuse is the snowiest city in the US that’s the same size or bigger. Pulaski sees significant more snow than Syracuse.

Hey, MikeInNH, this is off the subject, but do you remember Rail City near Sandy Creek and Pulaski? It had some beautiful 1920s fire trucks and I’ve been trying to find out what happened to them. Do you have any information? I found a website, but it’s not maintained and I get no response to inquiries.

You mean the Museum? Yea. Never went there. I had moved out of Pulaski by the time it was built.