New Subaru Outback Gas & Oil Plus

We’ve ordered a new Subaru Outback, a choice we made partly on the recommendations heard on Car Talk regarding the “good value” of the Forester. We chose the Outback because we needed a slightly bigger car and preferred the better stability (so the car salesman told us) and luxury the Outback provides.

We have three questions we only trust Car Talk to answer:

1. The Subaru Outback brochure states that premium gasoline is required. Could we use regular gas without harming the car or seriously degrading the performance of the turbo engine?

2. The dealership tells us we should use 5W30 oil in the Outback. A friend says that synthetic oil is the best for any car. What do you say?

3. Should we follow the old rules about breaking in a new car when we get our new Outback? Drive 55 mph for 500 miles and then change the oil?

Thanks for your feedback!

Diane & Lewis of Catbird Peak in the Catskills

The Outback is a great car; many members of our moutain hiking group own them. To answer your questions:

1. If the MANUAL says it REQUIRES premium, you should use that. If the manual only RECOMMENDS premium, you could get away with occasional use of regular. I would still use premium since the engine functions best with it.

2. Don’t listen to the dealership; read what is in the MANUAL!!. A 5W30 oil sounds logical, and may be the right oil, but you should verify what the MANUAL actually says. I just bought 5W30 synthetic oil for one of my cars. It’s a Nissan. Some manual give you a choice of a thinner oil in the winter and a thicker oil (like 10W30) in the summer, for instance. Your friend is right in that synthetic oil has great stability under high temperatures, heavy loads, and it flows well at very low temperatures, allowing easy starts. It should not be bought with the idea of extending the oil change interval. Your MANUAL will likely state somewhere that the drain interval should be observed. Not doing so can invalidate your warranty, should you have a problem.

3. The MANUAL will state what the recommended driving style should be for break-in. The first 500 miles you normally take easy. Only driving a steady 55 mph is not good for seating the rings as a rule. The best break-in procedure is normally just city driving and commuting while taking it easy the first 500 miles. After that many manuals recommend a few rapid accelerations to 60+ miles per hour or so, again to get some extra wear to seat the rings properly.

If you drove a steady 55 mph (no acceleration) for the first 4000 miles, the car would likely use oil, since the rings would not seat properly.

In order to get the rings seated properly, I would not use synthetic oil for the first oil change. So the first 2 oil change periods (original and first change) you use regular oil. Then switch to synthetic.

Please take some time to read the manual and maintenance regs. The manual is the final authority, not the dealer!

Enjoy your new Outback!

Agree mostly with Docnick.

Manual say’s premium required. Because you have the turbo motor, you have to use premium. Regular could damage the motor.

5W30 oil is available in standard oils and synthetics. The manual will tell you the oil you need, check the manual. The oil fill cap will also state the oil you need.

I’d run the oil that comes in the car for the first 1,000 miles. Then change again at 5,000 and again at 10,000. At 15,000 I’d go to synthetic for a non-turbo motor. You have a turbo so you must follow the mfg service interval for “severe” service. Having a turbo motor is severe service. If you stretch the service interval you could be facing an expensive problem down the road. IF the severe schedule is 3,500 then that is your oil change interval. Change to synthetic sometime after you have achieved 10,000 miles.

The oil change interval on Subaru turbo-equipped engines is now 3,750 miles, but to make it easier to remember, I suggest using 3,500 as the reference mileage.

As DOC stated or implied, EVERYTHING that the OP has asked is explained in either the Owner’s Manual or the Maintenance Schedule, both of which will be sitting in the glove compartment when the car arrives. Failure to read both books is the way that many people shorten the life of a new vehicle and wind up with higher repair costs as a result of not reading what is provided by the manufacturer.

You require premium with the turbo. Use what gasoline the owner’s manual or a sticker under the hood or at the fuel cap says. Use oils described in the owner’s manual or on a sticker under the hood. No old rules apply unless mentioned in the owner’s manual.

1. The Subaru Outback brochure states that premium gasoline is required. Could we use regular gas without harming the car or seriously degrading the performance of the turbo engine?

You likely will harm the car and degrade performance and reduce mileage so you loose on all three counts.

The dealership tells us we should use 5W30 oil in the Outback. A friend says that synthetic oil is the best for any car.

It is not one or the other.  Synthetic comes in 5W30.  However don't listen to the dealer about what oil to use.  Read the manual and follow the instructions there.  Some Subaru's have problems with oils, don't cheap out here.

Should we follow the old rules about breaking in a new car when we get our new Outback?

Once again, read the manual. BTW the manual will not say change the oil at 500 miles and I doubt if it will tell you to run 55 mph for 500 miles it likely tell you to vary the speed over that time. Modern oils, filters and cars are far different than granddad’s cars, don’t follow those old instructions.

Good Luck and have fun. Do read the manual from cover to cover before you start putting miles on your new car.