New or keep?

Nancy. I traded my 96, with 150K miles, for an 01 and later had buyer’s remorse, because I think I traded too soon. If you are confident of the reliability, keep driving the 1996, because I know for a fact it is the same as the 2001. Where I live, just the sales tax on a new car is +$1500, that amount of money will keep your Subaru repaired and in top shape, and NO Payments!!! Brad

Keep the Subaru if just considering economics.

However there is a much more important issue which is safety. You could get the latest Saburu (or a 2-year old used one) with side airbags and head curtain. I personally like the Subaru but the seats kill my back and there is not much headroom.

What am I driving? The safest car sold in 2005 is also rated #2 with J.D. Powers just behind the Lexus 430 at 3x the price. Think Mercedes, Jaguar etc?..Nope, it’s a made-in-the USA 2005 Mercury Montego with side airbags and side-curtain (head airbags).

Gosh the Mercury gets better gas mileage than the Subaru yet is significantly larger inside. What about 4-wheel drive? The Mercury has a system superior to the Subaru’s. Hmm!

Paul Woodward, MD
Napa, California
707-253-1811
drhealth@pacbell.net

We’re owned 5 Subaru’s with two of them going over 200,000… dang… you’ve got a “Spring Chicken” there!!! My daughter sold our former 1994, Legacy (now the Outback) with 235,000 miles for $2,000 just last month…Now that’s an investment!!!

I think you need to answer two questions. First, so you like the car? If you really just want to find a good reason to replace it, then it doesn’t matter what the other answers are. Second, is it in good condition in terms of safety?

I’m guessing it’s probably in good shape and able to run for several more years if given proper care. Barring the need for body repairs, it’s likely to be far easier on your pocketbook to maintain the older car than purchase and maintain a brand new car.

I am biased. I have a 2003 Explorer that sits idle most of the time while I use a car that will turn 30 in November 2008 (1979 Mazda RX-7). No A/C, no leather seats, no cup holders, it doesn’t matter. For me, the fun factor out-weighs anything else.

Keep. My 93 Impreza has 185,000 miles. Regular maintenance by a Subaru dealer for the last 10 years. Service Mgr. says I should get up to 220,000 miles before I need to get serious about replacing. And I get 34 mpg commuting miles. (Mine is not all wheel drive.)

I am going through a similar dilemma but with a much older car - a 1968 Karmann Ghia. I’ve had the car for 16 years and need an engine overhaul which will cost $2400.00. (had the first engine overhauled 14 years ago). The car has deterioriated over the years (e.g., when it rains, it rains in the car, can’t use passenger door because if opened, it won’t shut, fair amount of rusting, rubber molding around windows is falling off, etc., etc.) I’m in a financial position whereby I can afford to buy a new Mini Cooper. However, I have an emotional attachment to the Karmann Ghia - it’s been a good car to me but because of it’s age and other problems, I’m wondering if it’s worth it to rebuild the engine. Logically, I’m thinking that the car belongs to someone who likes to fiddle with older cars. Any thoughts? I’m renting a car now while I’m trying to make a decision.

Why don’t you just buy a nicer Karmann Ghia? For the price of a mini cooper you should be able to find a very decent example, much more fun than anything made today. I bet you could find a pretty good one for under $10K.

I have a 98 Legacy wagon that I drive for delivering mail and it has 226,000 miles on it. I have done regular oil changes and maintainance and recommended upkeep items (timing belt, etc.) and she’s still going strong. When you compare your $800 repair every now and then to having a monthly car payment,“KEEP IT” wins hands down. Your car is barely broken in!!

If you can afford a new Mini, why not put that money towards your Ghia? $15~25k should be able to fix all your problems with that car, making it look brand new.

I try to use this simple rule of thumb:

Will the cost of repairs be less than the cost of the new car payments, for the year?

In other words, if I’m paying more than around $4,800/year in car repairs, it may be worth buying a new car. Most cars don’t cost anywhere near that much to repair each year. If you’ve spent, say, $3,000 to repair your current car, you still come out ahead.

In my case, I’m getting pretty close to that point.

Personally, I’m not comfortable buying a used car since I’m not mechanically inclined and have had very bad experience with used cars.

I have a '96 with 93K and I plan on driving it for a lot longer. I set up a spreadsheet for my husband’s '95 Saab when I suspected it was costing too much - I factored in depreciation, insurance costs, fuel mileage and repair costs compared with the car he wanted to buy as a replacement. As a result, we knew exactly when to ditch the thing. While I was at it I did the same for my car, and I have a long way to go with it. I love my Subaru!