New gadget allows easy break-in to newer cars. Watch out!

@meanjoe75fan - I have owned several vehicles with over 200,000 miles that were well over 10 years old. I live in the snowy, icy part of NY State. Windows get frozen shut all the time. I have NEVER had a power window fail on me or had a window fall out of a track.

I’ve never had a power window fail in any of my cars, but I did have one fail in a girlfriend’s car years ago… in the down position… as we drove into the automatic car wash. Damn, that was wet & sudsy!!!

I’ve never had a problem with power windows either. Been buying them since the mid 80’s. Won’t buy a vehicle without power windows or locks again. My 98 Pathfinder with close to 500k miles - never had a problem with the windows or locks - EVER.

I have had problems with crank windows…Falling off track…and the handle.

Could that be because only cheap cars still have crank windows? Perhaps we are getting cause and effect backwards here.
I kind of like being able to roll up the windows if it’s starting to rain without needing to put the key in the ignition first.

I kind of like being able to roll up the windows if it's starting to rain without needing to put the key in the ignition first.

I like the idea of rolling up the windows when it’s raining while driving so I don’t have to pull over at a rest-stop…then get out of the car in the pouring rain…open up each of my 4 doors one at a time…and roll up the windows…then get back in the car and dry off.

Sorry…for convenience…power-windows win every time.

On the other hand, you could be in the passenger seat and the guy driving could let out a SBD (silent but deadly) fart and because he’s a real jerk, he activates the mommy lock so you can’t roll down your window. THEN you’ll wish you had crank windows!!!

I guess I’ve had the same number of failures in manual and power windows. The difference is, I can generally fix a hand crank with $5 and 10 mintues.

Ever notice how gate guards ask you to “buzz down the window” when you approach . . . ?

I hear that far more frequently than “roll down the window” . . . at least from gate guards :smiley:

Goes to show that they EXPECT you to have power windows nowadays

Nothing wrong with manual windows . . . we have them in most of our fleet trucks, and they’re very reliable

It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that it’s cheaper to install power windows on every car of a specific model than to install rollers in one “package” and power windows in others.

Well, if I simply must start storing my car key in the freezer I am going to need a bigger car to haul the fridge around with me. :smiley:

“Queen Faraday the Tech”