New f150 will automatically steer your trailer

Joe, in essence stability control uses differential braking and does assist in cornering. And it is cheaper and simpler than active rear wheel steering.

There are basically two types of rear wheel steering, active and passive. Active actually uses sensor inputs run through an algorithm to actively turn the rear wheels slightly in the manner that will best benefit handling at the speed and the turn radius that the driver is doing. Passive is a suspension design that controls the dynamics of the wheel moving through its suspension travel such that it adds a bit of steering to the rear wheels. Active is complex and expensive, and only on the most expensive vehicles like top-end Mercedes sports cars. Passive is more expensive than regular suspension, but not so much as active. In both cases the benefits are too suttle to be of any real meaning to the average driver navigating a regular road. Not worth the extra cost.

I seriously doubt of we’ll see rear wheel steering on regular daily drivers. It adds weight and expense, and those are both kept to an absolute minimum these days, and its benefits are extremely minimal except on a test track.

All wheel steering would most benefit those super long crew cab pickups with wheelbases so long that making a U-turn requires a really wide road and would also simplify trailer backing, especially if programmed to have the rear wheels do all the steering when in reverse.
On these big vehicles, AWS is not about handling so much as it is about parking lot maneuverability. In fact, at high speeds, the rear wheels don’t steer or even counter steer for stability. Rear wheel steering vehicles can be dangerously unstable at high speeds, ask any pilot who flies taildraggers. There’s a reason fork lifts are limited to a slow speed.

Was I dreaming? I’m positive I’ve seen a pick up or two with the rear wheels turning with the fronts. Looked really strange. Also I think Acura was adding this on something or other and I vowed to avoid it at all costs.

General Motors offered Quadrasteer on 1500 series pick-ups from 2002 to 2005. Honda, Nissan, Mazda and Mitsubishi offered four wheel steering in coupes/sedans in the 1990’s and 2000’s.

Hey @“the same mountainbike” lets install the 5th wheel on your current veehickle… I hope you have an Enormous trunk ! Boy I dont know too many vehicles today that could house that thing… That Caddy had a TRUNK I tell ya… I bet you could still load groceries and a weekend bag in that trunk WITH the 5th wheel and its gear installed.

The days of Yodeling into your trunk to hear the echo of your voice are long gone…

Blackbird

@Blackbird What is this “trunk” you speak of? I have heard about them, they held spare tires and stuff or so the legend goes.

LOL… I dunno… it was a word my father and Grandfather used to use all the time… I was just trying to look like I knew what I was talking about…

was there a housing surrounding the 5th well in the Caddy? Otherwise, the boot would get quite wet if the car was used on a rainy day. Maybe you English guys have heard of a boot… ; )

Yeah I think back to the trunk of my 59 Pontiac or our 61 Merc. Now those were trunks. We’d go on vacation and actually had room for all the luggage plus the outboard motor for use at the resort, and the trunk fully closed.

The vehicles you mention @Bing were probably the same size as a Crew Cab Pickup Truck of today… Just put a lid on the truck bed and “Voila”…its 1960 again!

The other day I was marvelling at the length of a 2 door 60 Cadillac…I almost got tired walking from bumper to bumper…ha

Blackbird

Way back when I had to drive Papa Joe’s 60 something caddillac for an occasional pizza delivery, I remember thinking it felt like you were driving off both sides of the road at the same time.