New engine or new car

I just blew the engine on my 98 subaru outback. The dealer quote I got on the engine was 2,000 for a new engine and 1,100 for installation. The car is in otherwise good condition. How reliable are new or rebuilt engines? I am willing to pay the 3,100 (probably more like 3,500) for a new/rebuilt engine IF it is reliable for the next 3-5 years. I plan on driving 2,000 miles over thanksgiving, is something that should be done to a new or recently rebuilt engine?

Your post says the dealer will install a “new” engine. If so, then it’s NEW, and not rebuilt. A new engine should last 200,000 miles with proper maintenance.

What’s the mileage on this car, and how, exactly, did you “blow” your engine?

If you have a new or rebuilt engine installed you should vary the speeds at which the vehicle is driven for the first 1,000 or so miles. If you have the original owner’s manual it will tell you exactly what to do.

You can take a 2,000 mile trip, but don’t stay at one speed the whole time. Get off the interstate once or twice and drive at different speeds. 2,000 miles on cruise control is not the best thing for a new/rebuilt engine.

Thanks for the information. The original engine had 135k. I was on the interstate, I heard the engine start to run rough. The check engine light came on. Pulled off the interstate. Checked oil (was low), added oil. I should have had it towed from the initial spot, but tried to limp back to town (15 miles) and the engine seized on the way back. My mistake, I own it, just want to avoid a second mistake.

Your vehicle is at the age and mileage where it would be more advantagious to install a used engine. And then have it installed by an independent shop. Installing a new/remanufactured engine in a vehicle at this point in it’s life doesn’t add to the resale value of vehicle. Afterall, the vehicle is over ten years old. And going the used engine route can save hundreds of dollars.

Tester