New car proper brake in what should you do?

You are living in the past. There will not be tone ( I think you meant ton ) in the filter.

1 Like

What doseage? I can get 100 octane at 7.99/gal 91 @ what ever it is.

Yea a ton. Iā€™m willing to bet if you cut open the filter you would be surprised. Not as much as in the past but still enough.

You accidentally swapped the s and e in does and made it dose. You know the saying, swap two letters and your whole post is urined.

Look for my post on the new Toyota engines. Thew will soon all have 13:1 and 14:1 compression ratios. This 100 octane gas, is it avgas by any chance. If it is, you need to stop using it ASAP before you burn up your engine. Just stick with 91 octane and you will be fine.

No they didnā€™t Iā€™m looking at the 2015 BRZ manual right now. On page 419 it has the same recommendations on octane

" If unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 93 AKI (98 RON) is not available,
unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI (95 RON) may be
used with no detriment to engine durability or driveability"

Again, 91 required 93 recommended . I think youā€™re worrying too much about the octane thing.

1 Like

Some where in all this exchange the OP says the vehicle runs rough on 91 octane. That should be taken up with the service department under warranty.

1 Like

You do know that at higher elevations, less octane is needed, right?

At 2500ft (Vegas), your 12.5:1 cylinders see compression pressures equivalent to about 11.5:1 compression ratio at sea level.

Also, high octane gas doesnā€™t burn cleaner than low octane gas:

2 Likes

The Skyactive 2.0L and 2.5L I4ā€™s from Mazda have a 13:1 compression ratio. The 1.5L can have a compression ratio of 14:1

The new Prius has a 13:1 compression ratio

12.5 is indeed a pretty healthy compression ratio. My truckā€™s is 8.2, and my Corollaā€™s is 10.5 I think. Both run fine on 87. 91 is as high as we get here too at the normal big-volume gas stations, just like OP apparently. Itā€™s possible I guess you might not get quite as smooth of performance running on 91, as the timing might be retarded a tad to prevent pinging. If it were my new car tho, I wouldnā€™t mess with putting any additives to boost the octane or anything other than gasoline from the local gas station in the tank. There may be a gas station that sells 93 somewhere in the OPā€™s area tho. Maybe ask that question at a dealership that specializes is sports and rally cars. Itā€™s a good idea to pose the question why the engine seems to run less smoothly than desired using 91 at the Toyota dealership too.

Well, maybe a ā€œtoneā€ of debris from dirt the K&N air filter lets into the engine.
Also, nitrogen in the tires is a worthless gimmick on a street car.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about your toyota but my Honda had some pretty straightforward information in the Userā€™s Manual regarding the first oil change- do NOT change it early. The factory installed certain additive package to the oil specifically for break-in.

Second guessing manufacturer recommendations without any technical basis from which to do so has risksā€¦

2 Likes

This OP has a lot of strange ideas. What concerns me is the risk he is running with the factory warranty. He apparently plans to use K&N air filters. talked to a mechanic about stiffer valve springs and running this thing at 8000 to 9000 RPM.

2 Likes

My biggest concern about what he is doing is mixing 100 octane gas with the 91 octane. Does it have lead in it? Is it avgas? either will do serious damage to the engine and emissions devices.

I was also thinking 100 octane low lead aviation fuel. My 1st concern was lead damage to the catalytic converter. My 2nd was unless the avgas is being pumped at a service station with taxes applied it is illegal for on-road use.

Many years ago (40 or so) there was a guy where I was station that stole some 100/115 avgas from the base for his ā€œrace carā€. Burned holes in the pistons in no time. Ruined his engine and got busted at the same time.

It may not be illegal unless the taxes are not paid within a certain time period. If I made my own biodiesel, I would have to pay the same tax as on a gallon of diesel fuel bought at the gas station. I believe the state wants the taxes paid quarterly. Maybe itā€™s the same for aviation gas.

@Jep863, you mentioned changes made to the internals,but only mentioned what I would call external changes, like the K&N oil filter. If you do have changes made to the internal components of the engine, what are they, and did the dealer do them?

Rebel gas stations sell 100 octane unleaded racing fuel;

Rockett BrandĀ® 100E Racing Fuel is a street legal 100 octane gasoline designed for on and off-track use in all performance engines with compression ratios of up to 14:1. It is specifically blended to remain stable under extremely high cylinder pressure and will resist power robbing detonation of combustion chamber ā€œend-gasā€ to improve engine horsepower and acceleration.

Owners of high compression ratio engines, supercharged/turbocharged engines, and engines equipped with nitrous oxide systems will find Rockett BrandĀ® 100E Racing Fuel extremely effective in enhancing their vehicleā€™s performance. It is 100% ā€œstreet legalā€ in all states and will not harm catalytic converters or affect oxygen sensors.

1 Like

The K&N air filter is a drop in filter replacement. It improves performance and mpg. Since I live in an extreme environment I usally have to clean the air filter every 4-6months depending. Itā€™s not strange. Now the valve springs and higher rev I wanted to know the upper limits of the engine and some time down the road if ever a little more hp would be nice. Iā€™m not doing anything to void my warranty. I would like to see this engine produce closer to 250hp with out resorting to f/I. The main reason it has not been pushed yet is it takes so long for data to make it in production. That and face it I love getting 32 average mpg in a sports car. I want it to run for a long time but I love finding out about what other applications could be done to get more hp with out f/I.

Was told the factory oil on our new Honda should not be changed early. After the first change u can go with shorter intervals if it makes u happy. Do any other makes use special factory oil? Donā€™t know

To the best of my recollection, only Honda uses a special break-in oil, but it is possible that other mfrs do, as well.