New car engine break-in, still relevant?

In the early days of driving my now parked 2002 Sienna, I used to drive from McAllen to Amarillo. In the Hill country, I would get it up to 70, the speed limit, and let it go on cruise control. On those long climbs, it would indeed sometimes shift down and run 5000 rpm. Red line is around 6300 rpm. It was designed to do that.

When I was in the aircraft shop we mounted every rebuilt engine on a test stand and rolled it outside for testing; and which included wide open throttle.

Holy decibels batman!
That must have been wicked loud even with a good headset on.
Who was the poor bugger that had to work the throttle?
:smiley:

To continue the exchange, we just picked up an Acura RDX with the V6 and 6 speed trans. The manual calls for no sudden acceleration or full throttle for 600 miles. Also no severe brake use for 200 miles. Who am I to argue?

That’s exactly what my Honda Fit manual says to do. It’s probably the same for all Acura/Honda vehicles.

TT, I can testify from my own experience that it most certainly is loud… wicked loud.
I always wore the squishy foam plugs along with the “bunny ears” whenever I was around operating engines, whether recips or turbines.

True story - I have an acquaintance that was retired from the secret service due to wicked tinnitus. Too many hours standing by the presidents’ planes. Apparently those earphones they use to communicate don’t sufficiently protect their hearing.