New Car, Black Clearcoat paint - Best way to wax, etc?

New Car, Black-Clearcoat Paint. What is the best way to maintain it, wax it, etc?

Also, should I consider some sort of fancy oil for it or just regular?

Wax it only in the shade. The color of the car has nothing whatsoever to do with the type of oil it needs. The owner’s manual will tell you what kind of oil to use.

How can we possibly tell what type of oil your car needs based on it’s color???

If the car is purple, one should use Royal Triton in the crankcase.

If the car is purple, one should use Royal Triton in the crankcase.

So, if it’s honey colored, you should use dino oil?

And if it’s black you should use that Arco Graphite oil that was around about 20 years. It was black right from the can.

I’ve owned a half dozen or so black vehicles. There’s no comparison IMHO when they are clean and waxed they look better than any other color. But, they are very labor intensive to take care of properly. Black shows all sins in the clearcoat. So make sure you are very careful to wash the car thoroughly before waxing to insure ALL of the dirt is off the finish. You want to flood the car with water prior to any scrubbing to remove most of the dirt. Then start lightly washing it. Even then, you can (probably) will get swirl marks at some point.

Hey guys, it was 2 questions, first in re wax, second in re synthetic oil usage

OK Guys, How about how best to maintain the finish on a new black clearcoat paint job?

Relax, we’re just pullin’ your chain.

Like any good paint job/clearcoat, all you can do is try to keep from getting abrasive material from hitting it (ie. following dump trucks, etc).

Make sure you use lots of clean water and clean soft rags too.

Also, do NOT attempt to clean/wax/shine when the paint is hot from the sun.

Above all, ensure you clean off bird crap when it lands on the car as it is pure acid.

Hey guys, it was 2 questions, first in re wax, second in re synthetic oil usage

Hey Paco…As we were pointing out…the ONLY information you gave us about the car was it’s color (BLACK). How can we possibly give you any advice on what oil to use based on Color.

I’ve owned a half dozen or so black vehicles. There’s no comparison IMHO when they are clean and waxed they look better than any other color.

The problem with Black is (at least here in the North East) it stays looking that great for about an hour…Maybe 2.

There are trade-off with waxes ? longevity, ease of application and hazing. You can tolerate no hazing with a black car. Consumer Reports did tests on waxes. I don?t know if they are up to date.