New battery

I have a 2002 Acura MDX. yesterday I left the interior lights on and killed the battery. The tow truck charged it and it is now working fine. Do I need to get a new battery? I’ve been tolf that it migh tdamage the alternator if I don’t.

Nope, since it charged up okay and is maintaining its charge, you should be fine.

Others have made an excellent point. If that’s the original battery, that would make it 5 or 6 years old. A new one would be a good idea. Let me amend my post.

Nope. It was charged by the tow truck and probably is nearly as good as it was before. By nearly; I mean that it isn’t significantly damaged by going near dead. One more thing: If it doesn’t have at least 12.5 volts a minute after the engine gets turned off, you can consider getting a new one if it is the original battery. You don’t have to, but all that electronic stuff in the car likes to have the most powerful battery that is recommended to be in the car. If we can afford to change batteries whenever we wanted to, we could afford to change alternators every six years too. Boy! That was the most useless statement I have ever written, except for my opinion of the styling of a Prius. Those alternators built in Japan are about as indestructible as you can get. When it hits 220,000 miles, it may become questionable. You can wait on the new battery if it seems to do its job. Next time you’re at the dealer for scheduled maintenance, they can check the battery.

If that was the original 2002 battery, I would replace it. Older batteries don’t take to that kind of treatment very well. Even new batteries can get old fast that way.

I left the interior lights on my Blazer on for 3 days. The 3 1/2 year old battery was completely discharged (7 volts across the terminals) which should have killed it. I used a trickle charger to charge the battery and it lasted another 6 months. If your lights were on for only a couple of hours you should be alright.

You need not get a new battery simply because the current battery has been once drained. And the idea of damage to the alternator is a prevasive myth that refuses to die.

If the battery is the original one that came with the car you might be wise to have it checked at least. It might save you some problems later on.

I agree, as long as it’s holding a charge it won’t hurt anything. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if you shortened it’s life somewhat. Don’t worry about it, if it goes dead for no reason then replace it.

Replace it when you start to have a problem with it. I’ve had batteries last 10 years without a problem.