NEW 2017 HONDA ODYSSEY...kids don't like

I took my wife for 2 test drives before I bought a 1992 Plymouth minivan. She would not drive it herself.

The day after I bought it she finally drove it and informed me she could not reach the window cranks because they were too low on the door.

I told her she had 2 chances to tell me that and we kepy that van until it was 12 years old. I don’t know what she did when she was driving and didn’t care.

1 Like

I expect you’ll like it better after you’ve had it for a while. But it sounds like you made a good decision to lease this one. Not much harm done, you have the experience now to better understand what to look for next year, after the lease runs out. I’m not a van person myself, try to avoid them at all costs, don’t like they way they ride or handle, prefer a sedan, but I don’t hear much in the way of complaints about the Odyssey’s owned by my neighbors. I do hear complaints about newer vehicles in general tho, becoming overly complicated and trying to be all things to all people rather than focusing on getting from point a to point b comfortably, economically, and safely.

Most leases are for 3 years and with two trips from Southern California to Washington State every year they might even go over the mileage limit.

1 Like

Disclaimer: possibly, I don’t know what I’m talking about in this instance. I haven’t looked at one of these vehicles or any new cars recently, for that matter.

Define “no LEG room”, please. Are you talking about knees being too close to the dashboard?

I drove a brand new 1978 Volkswagen Rabbit Champagne Edition company car in 1978. (Nice car) So what, eh?

That car was ahead of its time with “passive restraint seatbelts” and intrusive “knee bolsters” that were part of the dashboard and seemed CRAZY. However, once I understood their function and became accustomed they didn’t bother me.

The car’s designers had research that showed that in a front collision, occupants would “submarine” (slide forward under the seat belts). When this happens the seatbelts don’t work properly and one’s knees WOULD BE injured in the process.

The intrusive knee bolsters (close to the knees) actually helped with both of these problems. Without seeing the vehicle and basing my response on the quoted comments I can’t tell if that’s what “no LEG room” means.
CSA

+1 to CSA’s comment.
Some vehicles are sold with knee-level airbags in other markets (such as Australia), even though the same models are not equipped with that feature in The US.

4 kids, 2 adults, and you expect a mini-van to have enough room for 6 people and luggage. Good luck with that.

I had a 1990 toyota 2 door pickup, now maybe I like to stretch more than most people, but I had more leg room in that little pickup than I had in the plymouth voyager or ford windstar van. The seats did not go back as far and felt like I was in the 70’s series vans but the steering wheel was not flat enough to lean forward to rest your elbows on. :dizzy_face:

@PvtPublic. When I was growing up, we had family friends from Iowa who would stop over at our house in Indiana. They had four kids, two teenagers, one junior high and one upper elementary. Their transportation was a 1956 Plymouth sedan. They did have a top carrier as I remember. One advantage of most cars of the 1950s was the bench seats–3 in front and three in back. The trunks were also large and would hold quite a bit of luggage. I think we have lost something in traveling vehicles since that time.

1 Like

We’ve done 4 adults and 4 kids (2 in car seats) plus luggage in our Town & Country from PA to Tennessee several times. the only downside is that one person has to sit/lay on the floor, but if you rotate that person it’s not a big deal.

1 Like

Our 2003 Olds Silhouette is capable of holding 6 adults and all their luggage for a week. We did that several times. We used to do 3 children and 2 adults with clothes for 5 days and Christmas presents for the 5 cousins, my BIL, and SIL. We never used a roof tack and didn’t carry more than personal luggage under during the trip of 300 miles. We could have gone farther if we had to.

For some reason, some people can’t find enough space no matter what the size of the vehicle. Our son, his wife, and two year old daughter were coming to our house for Christmas. Something went wrong with their Oldsmobile Cutlass sedan, so the church where my son worked loaned him the 15 passenger church van for the 350 mile trip. They had that vehicle completely filled.

3 Likes