Need VERY short-term basic auto liability policy

So the registration and the title list two different owners? Interesting. Like I said, I’ve never financed a car, so this is new to me.

“Normally they want it insured, registered and driven for a year before you can sell it. That way, they can get advertising out of it.”

Woohoo! I’m going to the bar to celebrate my new car! Hope I make it home in the car I won!

I think they get their advertising out of giving it away, not the winner driving it.

“Man who won car slaughters schoolchildren in car that he won.”

No, there’s only ever one owner at a time. The title itself is held by the bank until the loan’s paid off. The dealer ships it off, and when it’s paid, they ship it to you. You’re the official owner, and they place a lien on it so you can’t just sell it and walk away.

lol…some nice alternative thoughts there. But they do. I’ve seen some running around with various company names splattered all over, and it’s not a salesman of tech, but a winner of said car. I almost won one like that, and once I started reading the fine print, decided I didn’t want to run around in a pink car with “101.1 Rock” or whatever it was all over it. They had pictures, and I about puked looking at it.

DTP, You’re Welcome For The Valuable Information.
CSA

Chaissos, you say the thread is much ado about nothing. I’ve got to disagree, as, to reiterate, I’ve never bought or owned a car; I reside in an extra-earthly place where we rent cars and take yellow cabs, buses and subways. Therefore, I’d had no call to learn the ways of auto insurance. The only things that have thrown me in the thread are references to financing and other matters that don’t pertain. By the way, I am required by the giveaway rules to take title as well as register; I don’t know whether that was understood without saying.

Update: I called a few brokers and have chosen the lowest quote for six months payable monthly and, as I’ve learned at cartalk.com, cancellation is no issue. That, above all, makes this thread valuable to one participant.

Above “above all:” I am neither “he” nor “him.” Au contraire, I am a card-carrying, lipstick-wearing woman. I, too, would have run screaming from a pink car plastered with logos or not.

Piter, Piter, Piter, a little dark humor is good for the soul.

My thanks to all. Good people around here…DtP

Woops, the system told me it rejected my first attempt at posting, so I edited myself a bit, tried to post again, and was again “rejected.” Don’t blame me for near-duplicates.

CSA, here’s lookin’ at you, kid.

The point, was, Ma’am, that you’re being messed around. Not that you don’t need information. I try to answer the odd question when I see it, if I have information. I read every thread, on every post, and don’t make all that many comments - comparatively speaking. There are far easier ways to accomplish what you want done, and your dealer is making it very difficult. So difficult, in fact, that if you haven’t finished the deal, ask another dealer not far away. It’s extremely common for even “new” cars to have miles on them. They get moved around in parking lots, on and off of transportation, and from dealer to dealer. Having up to 100 miles isn’t unheard of.

Anyway, I don’t always get the information out in the right order, nor quick enough. But at the very least, I would imagine someone learned something from everything I’ve posted. I can only hope this was useful to someone.

Best of luck with your new car…er…winnings :slight_smile:

Chase

Oh, Chase, I doubt not that you leave rafts of informed and otherways edified folks in your wake. At the same time, I don’t quite get why you say that dealer #1 (who was asked by the GMC promotions agency to facilitate the car-win transfer is giving me a run-around. The requirements that I take title and the car be registered come from the giveaway’s “official rules.” Sorry if I’m repeating myself. What the dealer did, according to others, is give me a less than fair offer of $37,000 – to which I’d already said yes – for an MSRP of $50,320). He says that, as a “used” car, there are no incentives, etc., which you-all here no doubt know. In my initial thread about winning, “Won 2011 GMC Acadia Denali. Must sell.,” someone just a few days ago told me to shop it around to other area dealers. I made calls today and got an offer of $40,000. Now my quandary is how to present this to dealer #1. Yeah, the enticements to a customer die off, but the man said the dealer will turn around and sell for approx. $46,000. Someone else wrote that dealers will not be upfront with prospective buyers about the car having been already titled/“used.” BTW, I’ll not be driving it at all. When dealer #1 offered $37M, I asked for more and he went into a lengthy, educational (my word) explanation of why he couldn’t afford more. I said yes, not having the stamina to pursue more elsewhere. From the beginning I didn’t want to be greedy, while wanting an amount that is reasonable and fair to me.

Any further thoughts, Chase? Anyone? I don’t know how much detail to give (sticking to the facts, ma’am, and leaving out my speculations/interpretations/emotions). I will add that, in one of our first conversations, dealer #1 said it made no sense to him how GMC would give him $50,000 and me $25,000. The specific car was on the dealers site as “in transit.” On Friday I was told it had come in. Mind you, I didn’t even know a car with MSRP of $50,320 was on order. Yes, I promised to omit my speculations, but can this mean that his deal with GMC was him ordering a car which they would buy from him to pass on to me?

I’ll stop for now.

Disturbing (that’s a joke. please don’t say the obvious.)

Who exactly ran the contest? Have you thought about walking away? It sounds like you would prefer to get money out of it, which I can totally relate to. Have you explored the question of why can’t the dealer register the car? I may not know enough to be asking the right question here.

A “NEW” vehicle is delivered to a new car dealer on a manufacturers “MCO” Manufacturers Certificate of Origin"…The Dealer sells it to the first owner as a “NEW” vehicle, that MCO going to the State motor vehicle office which they convert to a title.

If you, the contest winner, must title and register the car in your name, it is no longer a “NEW” vehicle no matter if you never take delivery and drive it. The Dealer or SOMEBODY must buy the vehicle from you for whatever price is agreed and then drive it or resell it…But technically, it’s a used car…

If you don’t like the rules set forth by the people who ran the contest, you should not have entered the contest…

Piter, Caddyman,
I don’t know if the very beginning of the story is relevant to my current questions, but to fill you in: I went to a taping of a tv show unaware there’d been an on-line contest not long before as part of this GMC giveaway. During the week I went, one viewer daily who’d entered the contest got call, “You won! Now pick a number from 1 to whatever.” Each studio audience member who had a valid DL had been given a sealed envelope. The woman at home called the number in mine, so I was “It” for that day. 5 days, 10 Acadia Denalis.

So, no, I’m not walking away and, yes, I want cash, not the car. Cash instead of car was no option – “Take the car or forfeit.” If only cash had been an option!

GMC is covering costs of tax, title & licensing. I have to cover insurance, which I’ll cancel quickly. I’d already been filled in here and by the dealer about the car being “used” because I’d taken title, even though I and no one else will have driven it. Stupid practice.

What I’m hoping for from wise, experienced, erudite, witty, charming gentlemen is the smartest way to tell the facilitating dealer (aka dealer #1), who’s offered me (and I’ve said yes) $37M that I’ve had the better offer of $40. My mind works brilliantly in some ways, but it’s not a business mind, and I have no experience with the business side of cardom.

When #1 offered $37, I asked for more. That’s when he went into all the reasons he wouldn’t go up. I’d be thrilled if he really wants the car and therefore beats or matches the $40, of course. But if he doesn’t, I have to coordinate with the dealer who offered $40. He said he could send his people to pick up the car at Dealer #1’s place. One of the dealers I called yesterday, who wasn’t interested in buying from me, suggested that #1 might decide not to process titling and registration paperwork upon hearing I’m selling to someone else. I’d think that he’d be no worse off than if I were to keep the car (no way would I). He must have gotten a nice something-or-other from GMC for agreeing to facilitate the actual turnover.

Does this satisfy or over-satisfy your curiosity and clarify my current question?

BTW, I was on-air with Tom and Ray at the beginning of this, when my question was “I won a car. What do I do now?” People had already told me to sell to the dealer involved. The boys said “Place an ad.” When I told them of the others’ suggestion, they both agreed that it was the best way to proceed. I then came to the website and was amazed at how knowledgeable most people are.

hi there Disturbing the Peace,

I was the person who recommended calling other dealers to see who would be more willing to pay you more money for your truck.

I’m glad to see that i was right that another dealer would offer you more money for it.
Why not just continue selling it to them?

They already said that they are willing to pay you $40k for it, and have their own people go and pick it up.
Why settle for $3k less from the dealer you are currently receiving it from?

I mean, that’s $3k extra in your pocket for no actual amount of work performed by you…

Besides, you are going to need that extra $3k to pay the taxman, at the end of the year.

Make sure you give the tax forms and the bill of sale to your tax return professional so that you don’t take too much of a bath on this truck come tax time.

BC.

I'm still not sure why DTP needs insurance.

Example: Preston Prescott buys a Rolls-Royce Phantom for "Jeeves" to drive Mr. Prescott back and forth to his place in the Hamptons. Mr. Prescott has no desire to actually *drive* the Rolls...in fact, he never bothered to obtain his driver's license.

Surely there must be a way Mr. Prescott can get his Rolls titled and tagged...that DTP can exploit for her own purposes.

Heshe needs insurance because that’s what the people who currently own the car require before they will transfer the title, and (if I recall correctly, hirs state requires insurance for a title).

You can buy and insure a car, and get tags too, even without a driver’s license. How many corporations hold valid driver’s licenses?

Couldn’t you find a dealer or garage that will put their portable “dealer plates” on the car if you offer them a bit of cash (perhaps $100)? That would allow you or them to drive the car from point A to point B.

Bladecutter, of course I know who you are. I’d know you in the dark. After getting that $40M offer – which seems serious, as I spoke to the dealership’s sales manager again today and we began plan-making – the other day, another dealer said he’d email back by day’s end with a better offer. He didn’t. I sent him a one-line follow-up this a.m. and will see (I’m not waiting for him). Mr. $40M will send a transport to #1 to pick up the car and take it back to his premises. Until DMV gets the clean title to me (which takes some time), the car will sit there. He’ll give me a letter saying that my payment will come when I sign title over.

Questions: Should I have something a little more formal-yet-simple than his letter, something with both our signatures? How about asking him to put the money in escrow? Any lawyers here? I’ll run it by a local lawyer. Because the car will sit at the buying dealer’s place very likely more than a month until I can sign the title over, do you agree that I should keep my insurance policy through the second month, not taking chances on his covering any mishap before then?

A little while ago, I paid for the first month of insurance, going with the broker whose quote was lowest. Yippee! After hanging up, I enjoyed some prolonged laughing because this whole episode suddenly felt authentic and imminent.

Joes, Mean and Mario, briefly, the car-givers are covering tax, title and licensing fees. Their “official rules” require that I take title and register. [They require a valid DL as well.] The state requires insurance in order to register. But don’t listen to Piter because…

…Piter’s bad. He was good for having referred to me as “m’Lady,” but now that he’s implied that I am of dubious genetic material, no longer. Besmirching my lipstick and my ovaries???

P.S. Dealer #1 just emailed that the fax of the insurance card is in. Tee-hee.

Bladecutter, of course I know who you are. I’d know you in the dark.

Please don’t say that around my gf, as she might get very upset. :wink:
My being a NYC native, she might actually think you were serious on that.

Keep the insurance on the truck until you have been handed over money for it.
This way, if something happens, say a hail storm, you will still be able to get it repaired.

Well, that is if you bought Comprehensive coverage.
Chances are you might not have.

Here’s what i would do:

Get it in writing that the dealer is accepting your vehicle for $40,000 US dollars (don’t want to take chances that they will pay you in Peso’s or something), and that the condition of the vehicle is manufacturer perfect.

This way, if there’s a hailstorm between now and when you get the title to them, that the price won’t suddenly change.

Also, you might want to have them put in writing that no one will test drive the vehicle until they own it.

As for the paperwork part, just about every dealer is able to accept trade in’s where the owner of the car financed it, but doesn’t have a copy of the title because it is still held by the bank. They must know how to run paperwork to take care of that issue without waiting for the NY DMV to send you a title.

I’m sure they will get the car out of your ownership as quickly as possible.

Congrats on getting the extra $3k.

BC.

To answer your initial basic question ; short term insurance...

find one of those places that takes $25 down for insurance.

pay the down payment

get a crtificate of insurance

don't pay any more

done.

Wow, are you late to the party. The OP has already purchased a policy.

Oh, Bladecutter:
Please don’t say that around my gf, as she might get very upset. :wink:
My being a NYC native, she might actually think
If you send her home, she won’t know a thing. JUST KIDDING. I didn’t even mean it in the male way you’re interpreting. It’s just a throw-it-out-there comment with no particular meaning…Thanks for the sound suggestions. If you were still in NYC, I’d take you both out to lunch.

My coverage is comprehensive. I thought it wise as I’m expecting the better sale to go through; if dealer #2 backs out with the courtesy to give me some notice, I’ll go to the next best offer on my list. I’m curious to hear the response of dealer #1. The policy effective date is 6/6. When should I tell him about the offer?

My friend, who will drive the car out of #1’s place if necessary (I’ve never driven such a vehicle), thinks that, again, if necessary, I can rent garage space and sell on my own for even more, but I can’t face that. I wouldn’t let anyone test-drive: “Go to a dealer to do that.” I don’t want to risk it becoming last year’s model. Winning a car should be fun, but it’s been rare – only when stunned reactions and laughter start me laughing. Paying the first month’s insurance this morn did it, too. What I need more than anything now is to get this concluded so I can be normal again.

Hey, Whitey, that’s more than a Mona Lisa smile you’ve got there. Hello, Ken. Don’t mind Whitey. I’ve deciphered “OP” this time. I am an OP. What do you think about that?

Sorry, I just couldn’t remember if you were Shirts or Skins.