NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! should I buy a used 2000 VW beetle?

I am considering buying a used 2000 VW new beetle (88k miles, $3200) not the turbo, or the convertible. The seller says that the head gasket has just been replaced, and that the mechanic said the engine will make the knocking/clunking noise until about 500 miles and it forms a full seal and can be tightened. Does this sound right, or should I avoid purchasing this car? Also should I be concerned that it already needed a new head gasket with that mileage?
The other car I am considering is a '98 pontiac sunfire convertible (which appears to be on the car talk naughty list) also 88k miles and $2500.

THANKS!

My free non professional advice is to expand your choices.

“the mechanic said the engine will make the knocking/clunking noise until about 500 miles and it forms a full seal and can be tightened.”

An engine that is making knocking or clunking noises is damaged goods, plain and simple. The mechanic’s statement is BS, pure and simple.

I would advise you to RUN away from this deal as fast as you can.

Agree; run away fast; there are many choices out there in good used cars without any ailments. This car is a sick puppy!!

As above, engine knocking = bad. Run away.

If the engine is knocking and clunking, it is junk or has not been reassembled properly. Even without knocking and clunking noises, given the choice between these two cars, I would take the Sunfire in a heartbeat. It may not be as sporty or trendy as the New Beetle, but it is much, much cheaper and easier to repair when something goes wrong.

100% amazing BS, yep, run away. Run away from this deal and this dealer.

I wouldn’t buy a 2000 VW anything, let alone a Beetle that is making knocking and clunking noises. VWs in good condition tend to have very expensive upkeep issues. This one sounds like it is already trashed!

the Beetle was probably run out of oil or sludged up and the mechanic noticed this, but wanted to cover his butt about it not being his problem. OR, the seller is lying out his teeth and found out how much he’d have to spend to fix the engine from being cheap on oil changes(i.e. not changed it since he bought it)

The Sunfire is a GM car and will have all the problems associated with it, but will be cheaper to fix when things do go wrong.