Need help understanding recent accident with Honda Pilot

Hmmm. That left tire sure looks like it blew out to me but could have been after hitting the left barrier. Part of the answer would be in how the steering wheel felt as you were veering right and left. If you held the wheel straight, and the car still veered, it would suggest a failure in the tire or steering component. If the steering wheel was being pulled back and forth I’d be thinking a tire or roadway problem. Did you notice any tire squeeling like I had when my tie rod broke?

At any rate, they need to check the steering mechanism such as tie rods that could cause one wheel to flop around and pull the car one direction or another, Also curious about the CV joint. They said it was leaking but did the do anything with it?

Edit: Didn’t see your most recent post. “Damage is not consistent with tie rod”? What does that mean? If a tie rod broke and you lost control, 1) there could be great damage, and 2) it would be obvious because the tie rod would be broken. So guess he’s saying its not broken, huh?

Also from that bit of minor front end damage, are you saying it is a total loss? Seems excessive. I can see a couple thousand damage but not totaled.

sorry message continued

3 (i) rear differential service
(ii) brake system maintenance
(iii) right inner CV boot (was leaking per mechanic’s notes)

So could the left inner CV have issues and caused this?

Attached are photos of the driver’s side tire and the front left side of the vehicle.

Also attached is an approximate location of the scene as I remember (thanks to Google Maps there were photos which I could click on). I have marked the spots (roughly) of the first impact (1) where the car veered right first and by (2) where it veered left and struck the median.

From the remarks here as well as the photos shown, I continue to have doubts about the wet slippage being the sole or primary cause.

Unfortunately, I could not have it sent to the regular shop (Honda dealer) where almost all service has been done since the purchase, due to some constraints with the insurance and paperwork process. However, this place also seems reasonable, so besides the tie rods and AWD system, is there anything to look for?

BTW, we have followed all the recommendations of the manual and serviced it per schedule since purchase.

I also believe it has the stability control.

My apologies for the confusion on the tires etc. I appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks.

The tire damage is indicative of being run flat for some distance rather than being burst at the final impact.