Need help quickly, trying to get back home

There is a reason the belt came off. Something failed and will need to be replaced.
Forget about a new engine or new car for now, get the problem checked.

2 Likes

Is there a chance if the belt gets on I could get it home

If there is not some kind of repair shop within blocks of you do a search for mobile mechanics . If you give them a good description of where the broken belt is they might bring the correct one with them. If the vehicle runs then the mechanic can give a better idea of what you can expect.

2 Likes

If the belt/pulley malfunction is repaired you could probably drive for several years.

1 Like

Maybe you will get lucky and the belt has just disintegrated from age and not related to an accessory seizure. Knock on wood and hope.

You did not mention what city you are in but as mentioned a search for a mobile mechanic might help. Thereā€™s even the possibility (although I hate to recommend it) of some facility such as Firestone or Midas being open.
Considering the situation all options are on the table.

2 Likes

Yes.

Once the dangling belt problem is diagnosed and resolved your engine may be fine. But like the others said, get someone qualified to look at the vehicle to figure that out. The belt on that era vehicle is needed for your alternator which generates electricity for your battery and everything else electrical on your vehicle. The belt also provides your power steering, it spins the water pump which keeps the engine from overheating, and it provides your air conditioning.

2 Likes

I certainly hope, for the OPā€™s sake, that it is. However, he has to be prepared for bad news about possible engine damage from the overheating incident(s). Modern engines do not take well to overheating, but hopefully he lucked-out. And, there is the very real possibility of engine damage from driving it with low oil pressure, butā€“againā€“hopefully his luck will allow him to drive home.

2 Likes

True. The OP needs to find someone who can sort this out and determine if they are in a repair or replace the vehicle situation.

You said belt just dangling but is it broken or just off the pulleys? Donā€™t answer me, just the question. On my Rivieras with the 3.8 engines, when the belt would come off, it was due to a worn bearing in the water pump. That allowed the pulley to be cocked a little and work the belt off. Twice it happened to me and putting the belt back on again allowed me to drive about a block before it came off. You need to get it to a shop and they may need to replace parts.