Need Help Identifying Car Parts Left At An Accident Scene

You could also run the foam part past a few new car dealer parts counter people. If you identify the brand, then what is next? Body shop alert? Which body shops? The perps may leave the car unrepaired or repair it themselves. Can you get paint color samples from somewhere? That would narrow things down a bit.

I saw a related, very fitting post the other day: You can get pizza faster to your house than the police!

Not true! If you live next to the 7-11, the police can be at your home almost immediately.

If you live next to a Dunkin Doughnuts they can walk over! :smiley:

I think you have to understand that unless there is an injury or death involved, the police really need to prioritize their time. I was upset too for property damage and they just kind of laughed when I suggested paint chip analysis. I’m over it now and looking back at it, I understand they really had better things to do. I even tracked down the vehicle involved in a break in once but from their standpoint, it just isn’t enough without other concrete evidence to go on. Its tough out there.

The donut shop is across the street from the 7-11, but the 7-11 is open 24 hours. I guess they could just drive across the street a few times a day.

Glad our City police are good, a truck ran into a tree about 2 am across the street, sound of the crash woke me up. The driver could not start the engine for about 5 m, so I called 911. The police arrived in 5 min, the guy luckily almost for him maybe got the truck started and took off before the police car arrived. I gave them the description of the truck, there were a few parts near the tree, but the officer just looked at the tree and did not care about the parts. He ended up getting pulled over way out in the county, and got a dui, possiby due to the description of the truck, possibly not.

Ok, this is just a guess.
A GM product.
IMOO it looks a little beefy for an import.
The smooth face reminds me of a GM product ( although other makes sometimes use a smooth face ).
On the first pic I can see three numbers right at the break.
Both Ford and Chrysler use part #'s with letters at the end.
GM uses an eight digit part number, all numerical.
It appears to be for the front bumper.
Keep in mind not all part numbers are on the part.

Again, just a guess.

In my neck of the woods, drivers who hit and kill pedestrians crossing the street legally do not get caught

In my neck of the woods, drivers who street race and cause innocent people who have nothing to do with the street racing to die, do not get caught

In other words, 0% chance that the police are going to spend any time trying to determine who those parts belong to

THAT…is the inner “stuffing” to almost ALL plastic bumpers… a common accident scene lurker.

No doub about it…its what fills in the open spaces behind almost every plastic front and rear bumper…without it…they would be hollow and crack as soon as they bumped an object.

Thats what that stuff is without a shadow of doubt

Blackbird