Need help! Car A/C not working. Shop can't figure it out

They also said my engine temp isn’t exceeding 200 degrees, which is strange.

I’ve never had AC in any of my vehicles, so not much AC diagnostic expertise, but just from what I’ve picked up here and about, there are certain conditions where the AC compressor clutch won’t be turned on. That’s done in part to protect the AC system from being damaged. Low refrigerant level is one of them, but that’s not the only one. Perhaps you’ve got one of those conditions happening, or a sensor is bad so it thinks it is happening when it isn’t. The scan tool can probably over-ride the “don’t turn on” rules. The advice you were given to take the vehicle to a dealership might well be the best path forward. From what we seem to hear here, complaints about dealerships isn’t that they over-charge for some particular service, but that they tend to recommend add’l services that an inde shop would take more of a wait and see approach on. One idea, ask a dealership to just do the diagnosis and tell you what the problem is. You can pay them for the diagnosis & fix the problem elsewhere. And you don’t have to agree to any of those other services they might “recommend”.

@Joshtalks

Sounds like BOTH of these shops have absolutely no clue how to diagnose cars

If they don’t know how to proceed if the scan tool doesn’t give them “the answers” they may want to invest in more training and hire smarter mechanics

At least they only charged $10

As for the engine temperature, exactly what kind of numbers were they expecting to see . . . ?!

200 degrees sounds about right

Sounds like the thermostat is doing its job

I hate to say it, but both of these shops sound kind of clueless

All of you talking junk about the two shops yet none of you know what you are talking about on this car. This car doesn’t have a clutch on the front of the AC compressor. So nothing you have said is right for this car. This car uses a compressor that is engaged all the time. Then when the computer tells the compressor to work it moves components inside the compressor to change how much it works. So the Two shops might know the normal AC systems but not this one.

If they can make your AC work with the scan tool, then you have an electrical problem.

Are you purposefully trying to alienate us . . . ?!

That’s called a “CLUTCH”

Not all A/C compressors use a clutch, some variable displacement compressors do not use a clutch. A control valve inside the compressor moves a swash plate to adjust compressor operation, clutch cycling is not necessary.

I found a clutch for the OP’s AC available at Auto Zone, FWIW.

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/a-c-clutch-and-parts