Need advice on finding a classic

“Huge” is a relative term. Compared to the vehicles I buy, 22-24 gallons is ENORMOUS (another relative term)!!!

At 15 mpg, 24 gallons gives you a range of 360 miles. That sounds right-sized to me.

They go from $500 to $20,000 on Ebay

I guess if HUGE is 22 gal my Camry merely has a large 18.5 gal. tank.

“Huge” is my Dodge B250 camper with a 30+ gal tank. I have to trade engraved portraits of Benjamin Franklin and Andrew Jackson for every fillup. :frowning:

I used to work with a guy that owns a Class A RV. He complained about only being able to put 50 gallons into the tank at most stations. That was half full for him. And That is a small tank. Class As can carry up to 200 gallons.

I recently was debating taking on this kind of task myself, and I did. I traded a perfectly good car (although tired) for a 1950 cadillac 61 series. The cadillac needs a lot, although it runs. Theres rusted floors, mildewy interior from rotten molding, ants, you name it. I do not have a fat wallet. And I’m totally pleased with my decision thus far.

What you truly do need is a place you can park this car and work on it as time and money allows, and more importantly, you need a reliable daily driver, no matter how ugly, it just has to be reliable and safe.

If you truly love the car, and find one, and can meet the above requirements (which are bare minimum) then GO FOR IT! BUT, research your engine and trans combo for what year you’re getting, and research what parts are available and what they cost.

It really does go a long way to spend a little more up front, to get a car worthy of rebuilding in the first place. Rusty panels can be replaced, but check the frame to ensure thats solid before hand. And dont even think about buying without looking it over in person.

Realize that this is a project, and a long term one depending on money. Research the car, research the parts, make sure you have tools and know how at your disposal…and by all means make mistakes and learn. Its a great idea if you’re prepared.

You might want to consider a 1980 to 1985 Cadillac Seville. These have a unique styling and are not so huge. When they were current many were turned off by the styling so perhaps you can get one cheap now. At a weekend car show in the future, one of these is sure to attract attention.

22-24 Gallons is in the Minivan/SUV range, Now buy a 28 foot cabin cruiser and fill that 120 gallon tank (thankfully it’s about a once a year thing on average for the family boat)