Nash metropolitan

I think the bodies were made in this country then shipped to England where the Austin engine and drivetrain was installed, then the entire car was shipped back.

Nope, the entire car was made in the UK by Austin I believe.

DO IT!!! The Nash Metropolitan is a very easy car to restore according to Hemming classic car. Parts can be bought and also retro fitted. I hear the parts are also somewhat easy to obtain.
I sure hope you husband is willing to help, if not let us know so we can give him a guilt trip (sheesh).

My parents had one, red and white. I still remember that car. My big brother & I would stand behind the seat and my mom would hold my little brother in her arms and off we would go, 5 of us in that wind up can. The car is gone and Pop is gone, wish they were both here.

thank you all for your thoughtful comments and encouragement. now the hunt begins to find a fully restored one!

Good luck! Maybe you’ll find a older restoration. Folks who just dumped a bunch of money into a restoration may be harder to deal with…but you never know…

I think you are right. The body was designed by Nash in this country, but it makes sense that the body was made by Austin in the UK. I stand corrected.

Well, here’s my update. Shortly after my post i actually found and bought an adorable,1959 yellow and white beauty less than an hour away from my house in CT. It had been lovingly restored and cared for by it’s prior owner. The guy drove it once when the road was wet and was so upset to get the car wet he put it on a lift and dried it with a leaf blower. He took really good care of the car. It’s completely adorable and the paint looks brand new --i tried to attach a photo; i hope you can see it. my daughter’s friend named her Buttercup. i was really looking forward to the fun i would have with Buttercup but my husband died unexpectedly in october and i no longer have any interest in the car. It’s in nearly perfect shape now and i know it won’t stay that way if it just sits so i am going to sell it. At least I followed my heart and realized a dream if only briefly. Thanks for encouraging me to go for it.