Mystery leaks from scion iq wheels

I have a 2012 Scion IQ. Large stains appeared on my driveway underneath both sides of the car. I thought it was the stuff from a gravel road that they put down to reduce dust, but there was so much of it that seemed strange. I parked in a different place and saw that each stain that appeared the next morning was under the small mudflap in front of each tire. Is this brake fluid? If so, why is it not affecting the braking of the car, and how is it leaking at all four tires? I’m mystified. Thanks for any help.

Have you checked the level of the brake fluid in the master cylinder?
If it is low, I strongly suggest that you refill it with the proper spec fluid, as noted in your Owner’s Manual. Then, drive–slowly and carefully–to a qualified independent mechanic’s shop. Avoid chain-run places like Midas, Meineke, Monro, Pep Boys, Sears, and tire shops.

Changing the brake fluid every 3 years is recommended in order to prevent corrosion of the metal parts in the brake system. How many times have you had the brake fluid flushed?

1 Like

It is very likely dust control agent that is dripping from the mud flaps. Your brake fluid reservoir doesn’t hold enough fluid to coat all four tires to the point that the fluid spray will be dripping from the mud flaps. If you had lost a few ounces of fluid, you would have felt it in the brake pedal.

4 Likes