My Wife Just Called... Hit A Deer On Way Home... Waiting For Police Report... CEL On... Why?

WW III hit one last winter in her Prius. $6,000. $6,000. Says that’s more than I’m worth by $6,000.

"I just learned some cars have grille shutters! Where have I been?"

Well, Rolls Royce used to use grille shutters instead of a thermostat in the cooling system.
Of course, that was a long time ago.
Apparently it has some application in newer cars, even with a thermostat.

Is it possible that they are there to impart a slight improvement in aerodynamics, or do they have a different use in cars like that Caddy?

Is it possible that they are there to impart a slight improvement in aerodynamics

That is the reason they exist. Airflow through the radiator and engine compartment adds drag with makes the MPG’s worse. Close of the airflow even a little bit and the airflow is smother and drag is less.

If you watch any NASCAR races they talk about “taking tape off the grill” if the engine is overheating or adding tape to help the front downforce and drag, especially at the big tracks.

Sausage? Seriously, I hope someone picked it up. Road kill deer in Central Maryland often find their way to soup kitchens to feed the homeless, especially when the weather turns cold.

Years ago semi trucks used these shutters. Exterior mounted where the grille would be. I remember as a kid watching trucks coming in the opposite direction and you could visibly see the shutters flipping open or close.

The 2011+ Chevrolet Cruse Eco and the 2013 Ram 1500 HFE have active grill shutters.

“Active” body panels are, I believe, going to become the norm on daily drivers in the not too distant future.