My Safelite experience

Haven’t needed to use Safelite for a few years but the installation couldn’t have gone easier and the guy had every tool needed in the van. Mostly just use a local independent for chip repair’s but wouldn’t hesitate to call Safelite if needed.

I have been using Feontier Auto Glass in Tonawanda NY for many years and never a problem with the glass or install. The only windshield s I ever had a problem with were from places recommended by my former insurance agent.

The first one installed a windshield with many triangular voids in the adhesive between the two layers of glass. When the sun was at just at the right angle it looked like I was looking at a fleet of sailboats. He wanted me to report to my insurance company that the windshield had been damaged again.

I refused and became angry and he quickly installed another windshield.

Had a buddy that worked at a local auto glass shop, 10% over cost for the glass and a case of beer to install, They used PPG glass so it was quality glass not cheap imported glass.

Only used Safelite once for my 95 Toyota pickup, they came to my house to install.

Gave them the VIN so they would get the correct windshield, idiots brought one for a 95 Tacoma. Of course they didn’t figure it out until after they removed my windshield, next day before they could get the correct one, was not a happy camper.

95 was the last year for the pickup and the first year for the Tacoma.

Safelite came to my house and replaced the windshield in my Toyota pickup while I was not home. They did a good job and everything went smoothly. If I ever need another windshield I’ll use them again.

I had some rust on the upper windshield channel causing a leak. Actually a hole. So on a long weekend I had the shop remove the windshield and I drove it home to do the body work and painting. Drove it back again for a Tuesday install. I was surprised at the wind in my face even at 30 mph. Like a speed boat with no windshield. I learned to appreciate windshields and nothing like new glass to look through. Yeah I’ve had my share of windshields.

1 Like

I can see how that configuration would cause some forceful wind into your face. Seems even worse than a glass-less speedboat, b/c the wind is channeled & focused right at you. Goggles are the countermeasure I guess.

1 Like

Very happy with Safelite, too.
Replaced the windshield in my 2019 Subaru Forester. They also did the (required) recalibration of the Subaru ‘EyeSight’ safety cameras.

1 Like

My only problem with windshield replacement occurred with our 2006 Outback. They did a nice job with the glass, but the morning after the battery was dead - charged it and all functioned, but I found the parking lights were on, which I hadn’t noticed in bright sun the previous afternoon. The the installer must have bumped the switch which sits atop the steering column (why there???).

You must have an “older” Outback because–IIRC–Subaru deleted that extra switch somewhere around 2008. I’m told that the original reason for that switch resulted from regulations in some European nations. Perhaps Subaru still installs that extra switch for European markets, but it hasn’t been present on their US models for more than a decade.

I guess maybe some countries take parking lights literally. We went to see the fireworks display on the 4th. It was hot so wanted the car running with the ac on. Well there is no way to turn all the lights off. The parking lights remain on as long as the engine is on. I knew it was an issue from our experience in a winter outdoor church service where everyone looked at our car with the parking lights on destroying the candle light experience, so I shut the car off. No heat or ac while parked if you want total darkness. I had considered taping over the lights before we left but just decided we d tough it out instead. Never experienced a car where you have to have the lights on if you want the heater on.