My Olds converted itself to Metric. Does that mean I get better mileage?

Canada used to sell gasoline in Imperial gallons but has converted to metric. They use L/100km.

I remember people complaining about the high cost per gallon. They had no clue the gallons were 5 quarts and the Canadian dollars were worth about .66 of ours.

Yeah, I remember being told that the Imperial gallon was 5 US quarts, but not quite exactly 5 US quarts, and that made it seem even more confounding. I just found an interesting Wikipedia article about gallons that explains the history of the various definitions of gallon.

Unlike the definitions of gallon, the comparative values of US and Canadian dollars are in rapid flux.

I can see buying gasoline by the gallon, Imperial gallon, or liter, but how in the heck do I buy it in units of L/100km? :thinking:
CSA

Gasoline sold by the L. Fuel economy is expressed as L per 100km driven.

1 Like

Soooo
 do you know the answer to the question or not?
By the way, Canada used the imperial gallon too. Thought you should know.

that is the operative word.

1 imperial gallon = 4.9 US quarts
= 1.2 US gallons
= 6.5 liters

sorry, typ0, 1 imp gal = 4.5 liters

How am i supposed to know?? Well, Canada got it’s independence from UK around 1931. How am I supposed to know have happened since, I have never been there. Just as well as I do not know what changes has happened in Alaska after Russia sold the land to USA on March 30, 1867. (I’m not sure that Putin is happy about the price paid).

How should I know??. I see that others have answered that question.
I responded to You as I did, 'cause You could have a very good reason to write what You did and I would be interested in learning something new

Im sorry Bill, but.
1 Imperial gallon = 1,2 US gallon
1 Imperial gallon = 4,54609 Metric liters
1 Us gallon = 3,7854118 Liters

Who cares . . . ?!

He wasn’t around back then, anyways

sorry, typo, I meant 1 imp gal = 4.5 liters.
(more than two places are not useful in this discussion)

This is the inverse of how Americans quantify fuel economy. It’s like as if we expressed speed as seconds per mile instead of miles per hour.

The nice thing about their system is that averaging your fuel consumption is straight forward. If you use 20 liters per 100 km going up a long grade and use 10 liters per 100 km going back down, your average fuel consumption for that round trip is 15 liters per 100 km.

This is not true with miles per gallon. If you get 10 mpg going up that grade but get 20 mpg going back down, your average mpg for the round trip is NOT 15 mpg, but 13.333 mpg.

This also applies to speed. Going 20 mph for one mile and 10 mph for another mile results in an average speed of 13.333 mph, not 15 mph.
However, going 10 mph for one minute and then 20 mph for another minute does average 15 mph, but you covered twice as much ground at the higher speed as you did at the lower speed.

1 Like

This is why people in the US are afraid to switch to the metric system. Too many decimal places.

That’s a joke, right? :laughing:
CSA

1 Like

I hope this is a joke.

1 Like

For entertainment on my long drive I’d punch the metric button once in a while to see the 700,000 KM figure on the odometer. Punch it again and I was back to 500,000 or whatever.

1 Like

The U.S. largely HAS switched to the metric system. When was the last time you bought a bottle of 5 grain aspirin tablets? They are now 325 milligrams. How about a bottle of wine, 750 ml. A “fifth” of whiskey is now 750 ml. All the runners run 5 and 10 kilometer races. We hunt deer with 7mm Magnums or 6.5 mm Creedmore ammo. We buy 2032 lithium batteries for our electronic gadgets. The first two numbers “20” represents the diameter of the battery in mm and the second two numbers represents the thickness of the battery, 3.2 mm thick. We have shot photos on “35mm” film for a long time. We measure electric potential in volts, current in amps, and we use watts to measure electric power even though the watt is not an electric unit. We are increasingly measuring the size of car engines in liters instead of cubic inches and we have used metric sizing for motorcycle engines since before the '60s. We are not afraid of the metric system, we use it when it suits our purposes, but we don’t see the need to scrap familiar and perfectly good units just to please the metric purists.
It really doesn’t matter if miles is not a multiple of 10 number of feet. When was the last time you saw driving distances expressed in miles, feet, and inches? More likely you’ll see something like the exit is 3.4 miles ahead on a sign.
We don’t buy gasoline by the gallon, we buy it by the tank, and pay for it by the gallon, with U.S. dollars. Change the familiar volume unit and it would be just as confusing as if we switched from dollars to euros. We would see gas priced at euros per liter and have no idea if it was a good deal or not until we did a conversion to the familiar dollars per gallon.

There are still non metric units used in the rest of the world. Precious metals are still traded by the troy ounce the world around. Navigation is still done in nautical miles the world around.

1 Like

Which makes sense since a nautical mile is one minute of arc on the Earth’s surface.

Work in healthcare. Other than temperature (which our electronic health record actually converts and shows both Celsius and Fahrenheit regardless of which you enter), everything is metric, especially medications.

I mess around with old scooters and motorcycles for fun. They are completely metric, and I’ve gotten used to it. Then I was doing some very simple carpentry and it drove me nuts. I need to divide something that’s 7 foot, 6 5/8 inches long into equal thirds. It makes my head hurt to figure it out. So I tried to buy a tape measure in metric. Total failure. Nothing for sale like that in the local supply stores, hardware stores, lumber yards. Sure, I can buy it online, but I wanted it at the moment.

Simple measurement is OK either way, but when you are trying to work with the figures (add, subtract, divide, etc.) metric is much easier.