My old clunker - fix or dump? or keep as backup for the new one?

I don’t want to buy another ACCENT because of its crash ratings (see above). The current models are rated the lowest rating of all cars in rear-end collisions. I have been rear-ended 3 times in this car, and one was a pretty major accident (I had $18,000 in medical bills and permanent neck damage). People also hit me twice from the side, while the car was stopped.

I drive with lights on AT ALL TIMES.

What do you mean by a ‘picky’ AWD system on the Forester?

By picky I mean that it doesn’t tolerate differences in tires as much as say FWD. usually when 1 tire gets worn out, shops will recommend you replace all 4 because of this. it’s not a sales pitch/scam, they’re telling you because of liability issues. if you tell them to put a new brand Y tire with different tread pattern on the car that has 3 slightly worn brand X tires, you could damage the system; an expensive repair. granted it won’t happen as soon as you drive it away, but it will happen eventually.

Good to know…I wasn’t aware of that, since I have never owned an AWD car. Thanks.

even though I have dropped collision on it.

You meant comprehensive, didn’t you? Most states require collision insurance (for what you do to the other guy). They don’t care if you get $0 for a fire or theft loss.

I want to thank you all for your posts. I decided to fix the old hyundai. I got rear struts and a 4-wheel alignment for $500 at a local mechanic (not the dealer). I am living in one of most expensive counties in the country, so the price is a bit higher here. The car is running totally fine - just like new. PLUS IT"S STILL GETTING 36 miles per gallon!!! I am so happy that I didn’t plunk down $25,000+ on a new car yet. In fact, I am driving the Hyundai on a 2000-mile trip (roundtrip) next week and feel very confident about this old car handling this trip just fine. (I normally drive 3-4,000 miles a month anyway…)

kat

What the heck do you do that you drive 3-4K miles per month??